Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!? (47216 Views)
Honor Student
Surge
Message 1 of 3 (47,216 Views)

Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

Hi I have never reformatted a laptop before and I am wondering how exactly I can do it. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5 with Vista Home Premium. I have no OS DVD and as far as i know the laptop didnt come with a 'recovery dvd' (im assuming thats acts as the OS dvd?). The laptop has a recovery partition and I have heard that u can use that to reformat a laptop but thats probably not true / i dont know how? Can i request an OS dvd from the manufacturer or is there anyway I can format that dosnt involve buying the OS Dvd!?

Thanks for any help

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (47,210 Views)

Re: Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

Hi,

Try here for purchasing a recovery disk set. look on the right-hand side of the page. You will need the complete model name and model number. When the laptop is booted into you OS press the CTRL+ALT+S keys at the same time and the information should display. You can also find the information in the HP system information section from Start --> Programs.

You can access the HP Recovery Manager from startup by tapping the F11 key when you first see the BIOS screen.

regards,

Erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 3 (47,183 Views)

Re: Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

HP Recovery is used to format hdd and reinstall,F11 at power on. HP Recovery from the Start menu can do the same task_also used to burn a Recovery Disk set.

HP Recovery>> http://tinyurl.com/2y4rub

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation