Question

Honor Student
Surge
Message 1 of 3 (47,978 Views)

Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

Hi I have never reformatted a laptop before and I am wondering how exactly I can do it. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5 with Vista Home Premium. I have no OS DVD and as far as i know the laptop didnt come with a 'recovery dvd' (im assuming thats acts as the OS dvd?). The laptop has a recovery partition and I have heard that u can use that to reformat a laptop but thats probably not true / i dont know how? Can i request an OS dvd from the manufacturer or is there anyway I can format that dosnt involve buying the OS Dvd!?

Thanks for any help

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (47,972 Views)

Re: Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

Hi,

Try here for purchasing a recovery disk set. look on the right-hand side of the page. You will need the complete model name and model number. When the laptop is booted into you OS press the CTRL+ALT+S keys at the same time and the information should display. You can also find the information in the HP system information section from Start --> Programs.

You can access the HP Recovery Manager from startup by tapping the F11 key when you first see the BIOS screen.

regards,

Erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 3 (47,945 Views)

Re: Reformatting / restoring an HP laptop!?

HP Recovery is used to format hdd and reinstall,F11 at power on. HP Recovery from the Start menu can do the same task_also used to burn a Recovery Disk set.

HP Recovery>> http://tinyurl.com/2y4rub

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation