Question

Top Student
light487
Message 1 of 32 (76,236 Views)

Removing "HP Support Assistant"

Hi,

I recently bought a HP mini 220HD and since the very first day the HP Support Assistant has been nothing but an annoyance and a nuisance. The final straw occured tonight when I was installing an app and the assistant decided that it would run the "tune up" half way through!! It set a restore point, without permission/confirmation and then started to defrag the hard drive... WHILE THE APP WAS INSTALLING!!

At other times, it pops up with annoying and useless information, completely interupting what I am doing and in some cases causing full-screen apps to crash and losing information that hasn't been saved etc etc etc.

So.. is there a safe way to remove this from my netbook while still retaining the rest of the functionality of Windows 7 Starter and Norton Internet Security (which seems to be integrated into the assistant at some level)?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 32 (76,221 Views)

Re: Removing "HP Support Assistant"

light487 wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought a HP mini 220HD and since the very first day the HP Support Assistant has been nothing but an annoyance and a nuisance. The final straw occured tonight when I was installing an app and the assistant decided that it would run the "tune up" half way through!! It set a restore point, without permission/confirmation and then started to defrag the hard drive... WHILE THE APP WAS INSTALLING!!

At other times, it pops up with annoying and useless information, completely interupting what I am doing and in some cases causing full-screen apps to crash and losing information that hasn't been saved etc etc etc.

So.. is there a safe way to remove this from my netbook while still retaining the rest of the functionality of Windows 7 Starter and Norton Internet Security (which seems to be integrated into the assistant at some level)?

You can go into the preferences and turn of those features.  I would not recommend uninstalling it, as it's vital to maintaining the system.  It's also got diagnostics tools such as the battery check  utility that support will require you run.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 32 (76,209 Views)

I am going to disagree with Kalt here. I have uninstalled this and my dv8 runs just fine with out it.

Windows has its own systems to monitor the battery and all the critical systems with out HP's annoying interference.

As a matter of fact when I upgraded my HDX 18 to Windows 7 I used a retail copy and I didn't install any HP stuff except for the hot keys. The laptop ran faster, booted faster, had no conflicting software and hardware problems etc.

Uninstall it....

If you find you can't live with out it you can always reinstall it from the recovery manager.

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 4 of 32 (76,200 Views)

HaggisCat wrote:

I am going to disagree with Kalt here. I have uninstalled this and my dv8 runs just fine with out it.

Windows has its own systems to monitor the battery and all the critical systems with out HP's annoying interference.

As a matter of fact when I upgraded my HDX 18 to Windows 7 I used a retail copy and I didn't install any HP stuff except for the hot keys. The laptop ran faster, booted faster, had no conflicting software and hardware problems etc.

Uninstall it....

If you find you can't live with out it you can always reinstall it from the recovery manager.

I didn't say that it wouldn't run fine.  You'll have to manually install all of your HP updates without it.

And Windows 7 does not have a battery check utility to test whether or not the battery is fully functional.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 32 (76,179 Views)

OK yes you're right Windows doesn't have a battery health check utility. Sorry, my mistake.

I put my 2 cents in here because there are quite few people having problems with HP software such as "HP support assistant" and others. This thread is a good example of this.

Hp finds updates for things that are running perfectly fine. Most people will install the update and then sometimes things go wrong. Trying to find out exactly what happened and even when you undo or uninstall the update, the application doesn't always correct itself.

When I have trouble with software instability, then I look for the update or what ever it takes to repair it. I just don't trust HP to tell me that my laptop needs an update on a perfectly running computer. That term "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here.

Check out this other thread and the problems that this person is having with the not so great HP software:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/HP-Advisor/td-p/236954

Teacher
JMyrc
Message 6 of 32 (76,148 Views)

As Kalt has already stated, it is better to go ahead and keep the HP Support Assistant on your computer.  That way if you ever -do- have any issues, you can use it to diagnosis and fix them.

Probably the easiest solution to your problem would be to disable the program from automatically running every time you turn the computer on.  That way, it only ever does anything if you tell it to, rather than constantly running in the background.

To do this, simply go to the Start Menu, type "msconfig" in the Search box, and click on the link that shows up at the top.  This will pull up your System Configuration.  Go to the Startup tab, and then find "HP Support Assistant" in the list that shows.  Just uncheck the box beside the program, restart, and voila!  No more HP Support Assistant running every time you turn the computer on.

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 32 (76,142 Views)

To quote what Kalt said : "You can go into the preferences and turn of those features" Disabling the program in msconfig would yield the same result as uninstalling it. Kalt did not say to disable the program in msconfig.

Top Student
maheshvv
Message 8 of 32 (74,455 Views)

i have a compaq 110 netbook running (blech) windows 7 starter. slow enough to begin with, made slower by that awful hp support assistant. none of the other tips here worked; what worked was to go into the Windows Task Scheduler, go to the HP Folder and disable PC Health Tune up and PC Health Analysis. 

Funnily enough, i did this first FROM WITHIN the HP Support Assistant (it has a button for tune up -- clicking that and then going through a tab or two will get you to the schedule for this trashy software). however, disabling the tuneup (set to run every month!) and health analysis (set to run every week!) seemed to have no effect on the actual scheduled tasks. that's why i went to the Windows Task Scheduler directly.

i had to do this as i did not find any tasks in the startup folder, nor did i find it in msconfig. using the task scheduler is the correct way to handle software such as this. what's depressing is that windows 7 is so slow and such a dog even without the hp assistant running in the background.

another vent: the 110c had a great keyboard, almost full-size, which is why i bought it. however, the keys tend to get stuck a bit from time to time. my down arrow key finally stopped working. in 25 years of using computers, this is the FIRST time that this has happened. the crappiest keyboards that i have encountered haven't had this happen. yet more to be depressed about...

how to get to the task scheduler: see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/schedule-a-task:

Open Task Scheduler by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clickingSystem and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Task Scheduler.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Student
cyberg
Message 9 of 32 (69,491 Views)

i bought a dv7 hp

i will never buy a hp product or recommend one again

this hp ASSistant will not go the @@#@#@ away

it keeps interupting my work

please tell me how to Trn it OFF!

Student
DonaldW
Message 10 of 32 (67,811 Views)

Thank you so much for posting that information. I have had HP support Assistant program on my computer for two years now and it still go through all the steps except it nevers actually downloads and installs any update, but it goes through the motions. It is truly a piece of Junk program . It has been such a pain over these years that I like many of HP customers will never buy their Lap Tops Computer again. The inventor of this program needs to give everyone who has purchase an Hp computer an apology. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation