Simple Pass Issues with Windows 8.1 (16688 Views)
Tutor
Ectophile
Message 1 of 37 (16,688 Views)
Accepted Solution

Simple Pass Issues with Windows 8.1

I just purchased an HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC running Windows 8.0 about 5 days ago. I was able to configure Simple Pass, scan and add digits, and associate passwords. Then I upgraded to Windows 8.1. I am now unable to open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings since updating yesterday to Windows 8.1.

I tried to re-install the program as a repair function. It does function in allowing and accepting a fingerprint scan at logon. When I click on the program in my start menu it begins to open, loads databases, then disappears. 

I then uninstalled Simple Pass and re-installed it after downloading it again from HP at this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-122818-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

During installation, there was a message that I was missing True API (x64), which the installer located and re-installed and then installed http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63224.exe

After successfully re-installing Simple Pass Version 6.0.100.276 I re-booted my computer. However the program still is not fully functional. I still can't open SimplePass, add additional finger scans, or change the settings. I am able to login to Windows with a fingerprint scan, but it doesn't prompt me for scans when I login at various web sites.

I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ectophile

Tutor
Ectophile
Message 2 of 37 (16,652 Views)

Re: Simple Pass Issues with Windows 8.1

I contacted Microsoft Windows Help Desk. They reviewed the steps I had taken and then referred me to HP Support. HP told me that they have had multiple calls on this same issue and said that many of the HP Windows 8.0 software have stopped working under Windows 8.1. They are researching this matter further and will contact me. They think that new drivers and software updates designed for Windows 8.1 will solve these issues.

There are also some other issues that Microsoft level 2 support is working on regarding windows 8.1 problems.

I just bought my HP Envy laptop and have 15 days to return it to Best Buy. With all these very basic issues, I may do that and instead buy an Apple iBook. It is troubling to have so many issues with a top of the line machine.

Total technical support calls so far: 3 Microsoft, 3 HP Support.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 3 of 37 (16,615 Views)

Hi Ectophile. I'm sorry that you have been bounced around so much. It does however look like HP is releasing 8.1 drivers as they become available for your computer.

Here is a post that seemed to resolved the issue:
See Dragon-Fur's post in the middle of page 2: Re: HP Simplepass not working with Windows 8.1
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/HP-Simplepass-not-working-with-...

Here is the upgraded driver for the finger print reader.
Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver (Win 8.1):
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123863-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

This is the general driver page for your computer, if you are having any other 8.1 driver needs.
HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC Drivers:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5390...

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Ectophile
Message 4 of 37 (16,578 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your suggestions and links. I have gone through Dragon-Fur's post, downloaded and installed sp63418 Validity Eagle Sensor V 4.5.228.0 Win8.1 64bit , checked on .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5, updated the System BIOS, etc. and rebooted.

Simple Pass opens, but when I click on "Get Started It's Easy", the program closes. It is still not functioning.

My HP Product Number is E4S19UA#ABA, Serial Number is [edited Serial Number by Moderator]

Since getting this machine 12 days ago, most of my time and energy has been involved with fixing problems. That's not why I purchased a full feature computer. I have over 30 years of personal computer experience and also did programming on IBM mainframes. My previous machine, a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista SP2 was virtually problem free, and apparently much less complex.

Windows Help Desk, both Level 1 and Level 2, have remotely logged on for more than 5 hours trying to solve an issue with the Lock Screen Slide Show not starting. They are still researching it. Windows told me that they are swamped with driver issues since 8.1 was rolled out. There are various other posts on that and other issues.

HP Technical Support is still researching the Simple Pass issue, and last advised me to be patient and wait for updated drivers or to roll back to Windows 8.0. I think both suggestions are unacceptable.

Like othes, when I updated the BIOS, an error message appeared on my Desktop. I had to research that problem, and find a Microsoft update to remove it. In total, I've used up at least 30 hours of my time trying to solve various issues, two of which are still open, (1) Simple Pass and (2) Lock Screen Slide Show.

I bought this computer for increasing my productivity, NOT to be constantly challanged fixing issues. This should be a seamless, carefree, automated experience. It is not. I'm at the point of returing the product and replacing it with an Apple Notebook as was originally suggested at point of sale.

As a final attempt, I will again go through all of the Forum posts concerning Simple Pass and see i any light bulbs appear in my mind.

If you have any more suggestion, I would certainly appreciate hearing them.

Thank you again.

Cheers. Joel

Honor Student
kjeanb
Message 5 of 37 (16,366 Views)

Thank you Joel,

I have the same computer with the same problems.

I've tried everything and feel like every option is a major fail.

I was excited to be getting a new computer with all the bells and whistles.

I've never bought a computer which requires me to go into the bios to remove annoying verbage on my desktop. Is it too much to ask to buy a computer and expect it to work?  Is this why people buy MACs?

Envy? I don't think so.

Tutor
Ectophile
Message 6 of 37 (16,357 Views)

Hi again kjeanb,

This is what HP Support told me to do to fix this issue. I have a total of 4 issues, so I have not tried these steps yet, but instead asked HP Support to set up an appointmdent with me to do a hands on fix via remote login. They promised to do so, but I have not heard back from them. Here goes:

Update Chipset Driver from the link given below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123963-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

Installation Instruction:

1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Update BIOS:

Note : If you get any error message while installing the BIOS, then do not try to install and let us know the error message.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123089-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=41...

NOTE:  Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid.  If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

Installation instructions:

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Uninstall Simple Pass Software:

• Press ‘Windows + X’ together to bring up the menu.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:smileysurprised:ffice:smileysurprised:ffice" />
  • Press ‘F’ to bring ‘Programs and Feature’ window.
  • Right click on ‘HP Simple Pass’.
  • Click on ‘Uninstall’ from the list.
  • Restart the computer.

Now Re-install Simple Pass software from HP Recovery Manager:

In order to re-install Simple Pass software from HP Recovery Manager, please follow the steps given below:

To reinstall factory installed applications and drivers, follow the steps below:

1.      Move your mouse to the upper right corner of the screen, click Search, and type recovery.

2.      In the search results on the left side of the screen, click Recovery Manager .

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If a User Account Control window asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes .

3.      Under I need help immediately, click Software Program Reinstallation .

4.      The complete list of applications and drivers to reinstall appears.

5.      Click the applications or drivers you want to reinstall, then click Install .

6.     The computer installs the applications or drivers. When the Installation is completed message appears, close all open applications and press the power button to turn off the computer, and then turn it on again.

Now, check whether the issue still persists or not. If the issue still persists then let us know we will go ahead for further procedure.

If you try this procedure, please let me know how things work out.

Hope this helps. Like you, I am also disappointed with my new computer's multiple issues which include:

1. HP Simple Pass biometric scanning software stopped functioning after upgrading to Windows 8.1.

2. Windows automatic updates stopped functioning when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and I cannot not change setting because it is greyed out.

3. Slide show in Windows 8.1 Lock Screen does not function.

4. UEFI Secure Boot was disabled when you upgraded the Insyde BIOS, and following HP instructions, I cannot enable Secure Boot because the down arrow cursor skips over Secure Boot when you attempt to change the status in the BIOS.

Cheers,

Joel

Honor Student
kjeanb
Message 7 of 37 (16,347 Views)

Hi,

Don't do this. The bios update will trash your computer. Mine's going in to HP now.
Honor Student
Bif87
Message 8 of 37 (16,259 Views)

Great, I "upgraded" from 8.0 to 8.1 and now lost use of Simple Pass.
HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 9 of 37 (16,086 Views)

Hi Bif87. What is the model number of your notebook?

<How Do I Find My Notebook Model Number>: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00033108

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Ectophile
Message 10 of 37 (16,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just finished speaking with a senior HP Technician about this and three other issues, which include:

I have my HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC, E4S19UA#ABA, Serial # {Personal Information Removed}, for LESS THAN 1 month. There are four (4) issues that have not been resolved by either Microsoft, Case # {Personal Information Removed} or HP Support, Case # {Personal Information Removed} and {Personal Information Removed}. These are:

# 1 - HP Simple Pass biometric scanning software stopped functioning when I upgraded to Windows 8.1
# 2 - Windows automatic updates stopped functioning when I upgraded to Windows 8.1
# 3 - Slide show in Windows 8.1 Lock Screen does not function
# 4 - UEFI Secure Boot was disabled when I upgraded the Insyde BIOS, and following HP instructions, I cannot enable Secure Boot because the down arrow cursor skips over Secure Boot when I attempt to change the status in the BIOS.

This I what the HP Technician, Tolga, told me:

"We do not have Simple Pass Drivers that have been updated to work with Windows 8.1. You should either wait for HP to produce these drivers or, I recommend that you restore your computer to Windows 8.0."

Personally I am OUTRAGED by this advice. I am a journalist with international credentials and these issues and the time I have already spent trying to resolve them is affecting my work output and productivity. HP has sold me a NEW computer with the LATEST operating system and it DOESN'T WORK. I would like HP to take the responsibility and FIX IT, and will not stop posting here and elsewhere until these issues are 100% resolved to my complete satisfaction. What kind of customer support is this? I think it is irresponsible for HP to wash their hands of a problem and blame it on Microsoft. The BIOS update has nothing to do with the operating system. The HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT notified me that a BIOS update was available. The BIOS is independent of the OS and loads before windows. Not having SECURE BOOT enabled puts my computer at risk.

The other three issues may be Windows 8.1 related, but HP should know how to fix them.

Is anyone else having these same issues? Has anyone else had as bad an experience with HP support?

Can someone suggest a way to escalate this issue so that someone at HP will do something about it?

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,
Joel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation