Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

So I'm having issues with sleep and shutdown after I upgraded to Windows 10, the laptop won't go to sleep or shutdown properly. The screen turns off, but the power LED stays on and the fan as well. If I chose sleep it won't wake up no matter what I try, and I'd have to perform a hard shutdown everytime.

Any solution for this problem?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
  1. Download version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Install version 9 or 10 of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  If you receive a dialog warning about replacing a newer version of the software, accept it.
    • NOTE: You do NOT need to uninstall version 11 before installing version 9 or 10.  The presence of some version of the driver is required in order to "upgrade" (or in this case downgrade) it.
  5. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 11 of the driver.)
  6. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  7. Restart your computer.
  8. Rejoice!  You can finally sleep and shut down again.  Smiley Happy

--DanG

View solution in original post

150 REPLIES 150
HP Recommended

I have HP G70-213 and have exactly the same problems.

Would be interested to hear if you get any solutions to this problem!

HP Recommended

i'm using  HP ENVY 15 X360 and i'm facing the same problem after upgrading to windows 10.

Laptop does not wake up from sleep mode. The screen stays blank and the power buton is still on with the fan/HDD making noise.

Similarly with shutting down. The laptop screen goes blank and the power button stays on and the noise continues.

HP Recommended

I also faced same issue.  Issue is resolved after doing following

1. Updated all device drivers  in Device Manager( Importantly Intel HD Graphics Family)

2.  Unticked  the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power "  ( In Device Manger --> universal serial bus controllers --> Generic USB Hub--> right Click on it --> Properties --> Power Management). Repeat this step for all the options in universal serial bus controllers )

HP Recommended

Well I've tried almost all the solutions I read that have been posted here but only works for few times if not once and then back to square one!

I've updated all drivers and been checking regularly for new updates but nothing so far, still have to wait for the BIOS update I guess..

HP Recommended

I am aving thse issues too. I think I found somethig that helps though (atlest for me it seems to have). Looking at the options in power options for choose what the pc does when the power button is pressed and in what it does when the lid is closed, I found that there is another option in the top drop down list that just shuts off the display. It seems an odd place to hav it as I think it should be in the bottom list (when the lid is closed). I changed the drop down for when I press the button to shut down the laptop and that seems to make it shutdown for me completely (alll lights fans etc). Hope this helps some o you.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as the original poster.

HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-f115dx

HP Recommended

According to me the problem is with the nvidia graphic card.  One of my friend having a hp laptop with AMD graphic card has no such issue,

P.S : you can google " nvidia driver problem with win 1o" 

Till than Try temperory solution:

You can shutdown your pc by pressing Shift+shutdown

for sleep problem try this

1. go to device manger

2. uninstall every usb drivers in universal usb hub

3. restart

HP Recommended

I also had this problem of shutting down and sleeping  with my hp envy computer but I recently talked with hp support and they fixed the problem quite quickly. 

Here are the steps they had me use:

1. While restarting computer, start tapping F10 to bring up bios menu

2. Once bio is up, hit F9 and choose yes to restoring the defaults

3. Hit F10 again to save and exit the bios menu

This fixed all of my problems with shutting down and sleeping my computer. Hopefully this helps with your problems. 

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

@GInger18 wrote:

I also had this problem of shutting down and sleeping  with my hp envy computer but I recently talked with hp support and they fixed the problem quite quickly. 

Here are the steps they had me use:

1. While restarting computer, start tapping F10 to bring up bios menu

2. Once bio is up, hit F9 and choose yes to restoring the defaults

3. Hit F10 again to save and exit the bios menu

This fixed all of my problems with shutting down and sleeping my computer. Hopefully this helps with your problems. 

Good Luck!

Just trying this now on my Split X2 im on latest BIOS and have been since last year.

But willing to try this as tried everything else.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.