Question

Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 1 of 13 (11,389 Views)

This copy of Windows is not genuine message

I've had my HP dv5t laptop for about 5 years now and all of a sudden, it started telling me to activate windows and that the copy of Windows that I have is not genuine. I ordered my computer from the hp.com website over 5 years ago and it came with Home Premium. The operating system has been working fine. Why is it giving me this prompt about Windows all of a sudden? I'm confused because my copy of Windows IS GENUINE. My desktop is plain black now and has that message on the bottom right corner as well. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 13 (11,382 Views)

Re: This copy of Windows is not genuine message

Hi

You can try and validate your copy by visiting this web page below, click validate now "Continue" button

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/VistaDisclosure.aspx?Guid=9f89925b-28c6-46e7-8999-b3164ab...

Found this advice on this site

http://www.vistaclues.com/this-copy-of-microsoft-windows-is-not-genuine/

Let us know how it goes!

*Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****

****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards

Manjunath

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 3 of 13 (11,369 Views)

Thank you so much for the link! I really appreciate it, but for some reason it said that it was unable to determine whether it was valid or not :smileysad: It kept saying that it was interrupted. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you!

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 4 of 13 (11,356 Views)

Hi

You can do a recovery on the unit this will fix your issue on the unit but will erase all the data Please back up all your data. Once unit is powered on keep tapping F11 steps given below. Incase if this does not work you can order a recovery disc by call HP Technical support or click on the weblink given below.

Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key

Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP

Let us know how it goes!

*Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****

Regards

Manjunath

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****

Regards
Manjunath
Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 5 of 13 (11,320 Views)

Hello!

I was hoping to not have to do a whole system recovery because I have so much on my computer that I am not prepared to back up. I tried to do a system restore but I'm not sure that it helped. I have a feeling it has to do with a Windows Update for Service Pack 3. I looked through my updates and saw a Microsoft Windows SP3 had been added on the 12th so I figured that would be the problem but I'm not certain. I'll keep you updated! 

Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 6 of 13 (11,297 Views)

If you can still read your COA try this.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=82fc5ab1-93b4-486a-af1...

When you run this make sure the Date and Time are set.

Good luck.

We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

****Click the Thumbs up to say thanks****

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Registered Microsoft Partner
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification in progress.
Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 7 of 13 (11,283 Views)

Unfortuntately the COA is all rubbed off. I can only partially see the barcode and part of the rest of it. The sticker is still there. I just can't legibly read anything :smileysad: 

Master's Graduate
Matt_Lo
Message 8 of 13 (11,280 Views)

Usually, when I see this, it usually means that the computer lost the tattoo for the motherboard.  Restart your computer and press F1 at the HP logo screen.  This will take you to the system information.  When you go there, does it show your product's serial number and product number?

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 9 of 13 (11,277 Views)

Ok, I'm going to try this right now and let you know! Thank you :smileyhappy:

Top Student
MissDeenaDiva
Message 10 of 13 (11,273 Views)

I just tried what you suggested and for some reason the notebook model, product number, and serial are not showing up. The only thing that had a number next to it wast he System Board ID. However, when I run the HP Support Asssistant, it tells me the serial and product number. What do you suggest I do next? Thank you! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation