Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased an HP ENVY 15t QUAD - E4T17AV

It shipped with Win8 and I honestly can't stand it. Upon attempting to reinstall with Win7, I am unable to find any disks to install to. I have searched the devmgr in win8 for the information on the SATA controller and the chipset. I have downloaded the drivers and when attempting to add them during the Win7 it finds the drivers that are compatible with my system but when i attempt to install I recieve the error "No new devices could be found."

I enabled legacy boot options, disabled secure boot, changed the boot order, all that good stuff.

I have attempted to install having both the SATA and mSATA drives attached, as well as only having one or the other attached, and recieve the same error each time. I have used several different drivers from HP and Intel and all recieve the same error.

I have read other posts from people saying that they have install Win7 on their 15t, so it must be possible.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Had the same problem... figured it out... it was not a Sata Contorller driver issue at all.

1. Turned off Secure Boot, & Enabled Legacy.

2. Turn USB 3.0 BIOS setting to act as AUTO so that OS installations treat USB ports as 2.0 Compatable

3. HD partition scheme needed to be reset.. not sure what it was.  Hooked it up to my Mac and under parition, set it to 1 Partition and chose MBR as the partition table layout scheme.

Hope this helps, but still having problem with Nvidia Graphics Drivers and Intel Chipset drivers 😞

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

You probably have to put these drivers on a usb flash drive and have that plugged in when you have your windows 7 disk booted up and use the advanced installation option to install the sata driver.

Check the box to include only compatible drivers.

First file listed is what you want.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=22676&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

HP Recommended

I am actually installing Win7 off of a flash drive. I have tried slipping the drivers into the install media itself.

I have also used a second flash drive to load drivers, as well as putting them on the Win8 hard disk and navigating to it from the installer (which, strangely, works just fine, but I still cannot see any sata disks in the installer)

I don't have the computer in front of me at the moment, but I believe I have already tried that driver. However, it may be a different version. I will try it as soon as I can.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Had the same problem... figured it out... it was not a Sata Contorller driver issue at all.

1. Turned off Secure Boot, & Enabled Legacy.

2. Turn USB 3.0 BIOS setting to act as AUTO so that OS installations treat USB ports as 2.0 Compatable

3. HD partition scheme needed to be reset.. not sure what it was.  Hooked it up to my Mac and under parition, set it to 1 Partition and chose MBR as the partition table layout scheme.

Hope this helps, but still having problem with Nvidia Graphics Drivers and Intel Chipset drivers 😞

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad you got it sorted out.

Since your model is a CTO, I don't know the specs.

Can you tell me what processor and graphics controller(s) you have installed?

HP Recommended

Intel Core i7-4700MQ

NVIDIA GT 740M 2GB 

HP Recommended

Did you try the Chipset driver directly from Intel?  First file listed is the auto install.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&keyword=Chipset+ins...

How about the Nvidia graphics driver directly from nvidia?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html

If the production driver doesn't work, try the beta driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-326.41-beta-driver.html

HP Recommended

It turned out that it was ONLY the USB setting that needed to be changed. After that, I didn't even need to install drivers, the windows installer detected everything. (Note: I was using an installer with SP1 included, that may have an effect.)

Since I had 2 HDD's in the machine, and was trying to install to a 2nd drive, I would get an error 0x80300024 (Click for solution from another site). I removed the hard disk that had Win8 installed on it and retried the install and everything went perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now to figure out the driver problems. 

For the record, I used the HP Win8 graphics driver for the GT740M and it worked fine. None of the drivers on Nvidias website seemed to work. Even using the Nvidia auto-detect wouldn't find me a proper driver.

I used the Wifi driver (labeled "Network Controller") from here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/Downgrade-Envy-15...

Also, just for reference, here are my specs on the CTO :

• HP ENVY 15t Quad

• Windows 8 64 ( NOT ANYMORE! :OpenSmile: ) 

• 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ Processor

• NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory

• 15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)

• 16GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache (Installed 256GB mSATA SSD for Win7)

• No Internal DVD or CD Drive

• Backlit Keyboard

• HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic

• 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)

HP Recommended
Re: Unable to install windows 7 on HP Envy 15 TS laptop

EXACTLY had the same issue....my laptop doesn't have a usb3.0 bios setup so i couldn't go through...

anyways after several hrs trying everything i decided to run my usb external cd/dvd drive windows 7 cd from windows its self and it worked..... betheway  my laptop doesnt have a dvd/cd drive so i use an external usb dvd cd drive all ports are 3.0

# just  normally start up your windows 8

# insert the usb or for my case external usb dvd/cd rom with win7 cd.

# lastly Run the windows 7 cd or usb ..

so i installed it from windows 8 .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.