Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello....  I recently received an update called HP hotkey device. Can somebody explain to me what is it for? Is it the same like quick launch buttons and if not what are their differences? Do I need this update?

I have an HP compaq 6735s laptop and windows 7 ultimate x64.

Thanx a lot

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Nobody else received this update?

Untitled.jpg

HP Recommended

It sounds like HP Quick Launch. The file is only 26 KB. This is a registry rewrite if you ask me. I checked HP Software Support for known models. The original Quick Launch program is 20MB.

If you decide to install the update, export the registry key to desktop.  Then if you find that you don't like -whatever- the Hotkey update does, re-import the exported registry key.

Hotkeys are the FN keys that: put the pc to sleep, increase/decrease volume, adjust display brightness, ect - ect. I never use the [www] hotkey, or go to whatever url HP uses to reset them.

The confusion is Quick Launch in OS terms is those buttons on your display down there at the bottom left corner next to [Start]. However for HP, Quick Launch is the macro Hotkeys on the keyboard FN of [F1, F2, F3, ect].

My assumption is this 26KB file changes a string value in registry that was previously set to some other dec./hex value. Perhaps HP decided to change how devices connect to their Quick Launch Shortcut setup site - who knows.

What is interesting is that HP does not provide the Update from their Support Site - atleast not for my model - which also received the update this morning.

Personally for me - at only 26 KB - doesn't sound like anything Critical - I don't need it.

Support your Model

HP Recommended

Thank you epothesis. I just installed the update to see what happens. It is really strange that there is nothing there on the internet or on HP's website about this update. In my device manager I had an unknown device but after the update it's not there anymore. Under the Human Interface Devises I can see HP Hotkey Device now.

HP Recommended

hey..

I didn't get this update.. how can ı update this Hotkey..

ı looked but there is no information on update process.

I have a big problem about . hot keys.

MY FN+F9/F10 buttons does not work after installing Win 7 . ı want to alter the lights of screen how can ı modify.?

in microsoft web site .. can we do that how?

how can we get the update by manual.?

thank you.

HP Recommended

@acheron1905 wrote:

hey..

I didn't get this update.. how can ı update this Hotkey..

ı looked but there is no information on update process.

I have a big problem about . hot keys.

MY FN+F9/F10 buttons does not work after installing Win 7 . ı want to alter the lights of screen how can ı modify.?

in microsoft web site .. can we do that how?

how can we get the update by manual.?

thank you.

Well, like I said there is not so much information about this update on the internet. I checked the softpaq dowload manager but it is not there. To me it came through windows update. Maybe it depends on the model. Mine is a compaq 6735s. I hope the pictures may help to find more information:

hotkey.jpg

HP Recommended

Is there anyone from HP who can substantiate the update as coming from HP and what it is intended to accomplice?

HP Recommended

After I reset-up Windows XP, Why I can't use the button Fn+F7 or Fn+F8 to change computer Display brightness?

HP Recommended

To revive this old thread.

I recived today a new HP hotkey device update. Has anybody got any new information?

hotkey device.PNG

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.