What is inside the "HP Tools" partition? (89197 Views)
Honor Student
TailsV
Message 1 of 22 (89,197 Views)

What is inside the "HP Tools" partition?

I bought a HP DV6 2120tx recently.

Coz the partition, C: is too large based on the purpose of use, so I decided to re-size it.

But I couldn't do anything with the disk, because there are already 4 Primary Partitions.

Refer to some other guys, the "HP-TOOLs" partition seems useless, so I want to get ride of it.

Before that, I just want to know what the partition uses for?

What would I lose, if I simply delete it?

Or Can I change it to "Logical", and change it back later? Will I lose anything, if I do so.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 22 (89,181 Views)

Re: What is inside the "HP Tools" partition?

[ Edited ]

It may be the files to run HP Recovery Manager.Functions of Recovery Manager include reinstalling your OS and all drivers/apps, creating a set of Recovery DVDs to use in case of hdd failure, etc.

The partition can be removed, but be sure that you make a Recovery set first! Even altering/adding partitions on the hdd can destroy Recovery functions.

HP Recovery Manager details HERE

Edit:smileyfrustrated:ee below posts

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
VideoRoy
Message 3 of 22 (89,174 Views)

I did not see this thread before I posted mine this morning, but I do not think this is correct.  I temporarily deleted my HP_TOOLS partition and I seemed to stll have the ability to launch the restore procedure at boot time.

I could be wrong but it seems to have something to do from within running Windows but cannot seem to figure out what it is.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 22 (89,124 Views)

This partition may be the Diagnostics partition on models with EFI BIOS interface:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3552680&lang=en&docname=c0144...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
anura
Message 5 of 22 (86,420 Views)

my hp tools partition lose can you help me

Student
shyb
Message 6 of 22 (68,016 Views)

The HO-Tools partition was created by the HP support assistant when it updated my computer's BIOS.

It is relatively small (99MB) out of which only 15 are currently used and it supports BIOS updates and diagnostics.

I did not see any restore stuff.

It does, however, includes a recycle bin with some music files I have deleted long ago and are not associated with HP tools in anyway.

The enigma remains.

Honor Student
dwalkerde
Message 7 of 22 (67,956 Views)

I just got done with HP Support who had me copy the files from the HP Tools partition to the Recovery partition then they had me right click on "Computer" and click on "Manage"; then click "Disk Management"! Find the HP TOOLS partition and right click and click "Delete"; Once you have deleted it, then go to the Recovery partition and right click then click "Expand" and follow the wizard to expand it to it's max size. 

They told me that this partition was created when the new Bios were downloaded. 

Honor Student
wordisbond
Message 8 of 22 (67,574 Views)

Thanks dwalkerde, worked like a charm.

Now has anyone else noticed their fan (i have a dv7 laptop) working harder ever since the BIOS update? 

Student
daddyb1
Message 9 of 22 (66,406 Views)

yes i have

Student
darryl007
Message 10 of 22 (64,543 Views)

thank you for your post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation