Question

Student
tedavis4978
Message 1 of 14 (23,300 Views)

Wi-Fi is disabled by the Mobility Center

I have a HP ProBook 6460b that was shipped with Windows 7 Pro.  The hard drive was reformatted to Windows XP Pro service pack 3.  When I try to enable the Wi-Fi, I am getting an error stating that Wi-Fi is disabled by the Mobility Center.  I know that Windows XP does not use the Mobility center, so is any workaround known?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 14 (23,287 Views)

Re: Wi-Fi is disabled by the Mobility Center

[ Edited ]

Enter BIOS setup to see if it is enabled there.

Do you have HP Connection Manager installed? Try it to turn on wireless:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Mstanford
Message 3 of 14 (21,777 Views)

I have an HP EliteBook 2760p it was a replacement for my 2730p, It comes with windows 7, but mine has Windows XP tablet edition. HP installed Windows XP, HP un2430 Mobile Broadband Module and my system has a Intel Centrino Advanced N6205 wireless adapter.  My sprint connection works fine, my LAN connection works fine, my bluetooth works fine. But by Wi Fi connection will not work it has not worked since i recieved the laptop, i have tried several time to correct it but have been unsuccessful. it has not been a major issue because when docked i have had wired connections. I now do not have wired connections in one of the locations i am working so the it has become a major problem, i can not even look for available networks, it comes up with '"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection" "If you have enable another program to manage this wireless connection use that software" If i try to use the wireless network setup it tells me it cannot work because another software has control

in HP Connection manager it states Mobility Center (is this not a Windows 7 item)has disabled my Wi Fi connection, i have the latest Bios update, i have made sure the Intel wireless adapter is enabled through device manager. I have looked on the web and cannot find what is wrong with my system.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 14 (21,736 Views)

I will provide any assistance I can, but it may be best to post in the business support forums.
http://goo.gl/LsnuK

These steps typically require administrator rights, but not always.

If you could, go to Start>Run and enter services.

The services menu should open. Scroll down and look for Wireless Zero Config.

What is the status of this service? If it is started, try right-clicking it and selecting restart. If it is not started, try right-clicking and selecting start. If this corrects the issue, it may be worth changing this service to automatic.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Mstanford
Message 5 of 14 (21,734 Views)

It still will not let me me configure the network, i am not even able to view availible wireless networks

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 14 (21,729 Views)

What happens when you try to update the driver? The Windows XP driver is linked below.
http://goo.gl/6kxZ9

Go to start and then run. Enter "sfc /scannow" without the " " marks and press enter. This will check the system files and attempt to correct any issues it finds. Let me know the results of this check.

You mentioned it was listed in device manager, so it does appear to be a software issue. A failed hardware component typically is not listed in device manager or has an icon indicating there is an issue in device manager.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Mstanford
Message 7 of 14 (21,726 Views)

Under device manager i ran the update driver and it said there was no newer driver.

i went to; start then run and typed; sfc/scannow and hit the enter key, it came back with Windows cannot find sfc/scannow

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 14 (21,725 Views)

It doesn't show very well, but there should be a space between sfc and /scannow. This is a feature available on all Windows operating system, so it should run as long as the command is entered in proper syntax.

For the driver update, did you try the download I linked in my previous post? Updating automatically through the device manager only checks Windows Update. Sorry that my earlier post was not very clear on this.
Signature
Honor Student
Mstanford
Message 9 of 14 (21,722 Views)

When I ran sfc /scannow it came up with an error; The following items are not compatible with Windows XP. Setup cannot continue. Resolve the compatibility issue with each item before running Setup again The option to upgrade will not be available at this time because Setup was unable to load the file E:\i386\WINNTUPG\NETUPGRD.DLL. I then click on finish and it took about another 10 minutes then finished.

Downloaded update 12.1.77.0 (9-6-12) to Intel 82579LM and 82579V Gigabit Ethernet Driver for Microsoft Windows  gigabit network adapter and ran. Also downloaded 15.1.1.1 (7-16-12) Intel Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows and installed

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 10 of 14 (21,644 Views)

I did not see an answer to an earlier question.

Go to Services (Start>Run>enter services).
What does it show as the status for Wireless Zero Config?

Go to Start, right-click My Computer, select Manage, and open Device Manager. Expand the Network section. Is the wireless card listed? If so, what is the status of the card? You should be able to open the properties of the card and get the status message from there.
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation