Question

Top Student
Bolin
Message 1 of 16 (29,633 Views)

XP install wont boot from USB on HP Mini 2140

I have tried to install xp on my hp mini 2140 but the install wont boot from my usb-memory. I works fine on my desktop computer so the usb-memory is bootable.

I only get a black screen with the cursor blinking in the corner...same if i try to boot from cd with external dvd/cd-reader.

BIOS is updated to F.03 using the freedos image. No problems booting ubuntu install from same usb-memory.

The harddrive is now completely clean after using the HP Disk sanitization.

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 2 of 16 (29,624 Views)

Re: XP install wont boot from USB on HP Mini 2140

try re-creating the boot sector on the usb stick (best both, /fixmbr & /fixboot). can you access the recovery console when booting from win xp cd? or does your mini not have a cd drive?
Top Student
Bolin
Message 3 of 16 (29,622 Views)

the computer has no internal cd-drive but i have a external drive that i have tried to boot the xp cd from but i only get the black screen with blinking cursor in the upper left corner... there is no os installed at all at this point since i ran the disk sanitizer in bios so the hdd is clean.
Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 4 of 16 (29,620 Views)

how is the externa drive connected to the mini, usb, too? if yes, there should be some usb settings inside bios setup, like usb legacy support etc. which you can try enabling. also set usb as the primary boot device so that possible errors with the hd (like no os found) dont prevent the latter boot devices from booting.
Top Student
Bolin
Message 5 of 16 (29,824 Views)

yes its connected through usb and i have already changed the boot order in bios....
Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 6 of 16 (29,814 Views)

then i dont know how such problems can be solved on a mini without a cd drive. my only guess is either a wrong bios setting concerning the usb port (eg. usb legacy support under device options & usb port enable/disable under port options) or a damaged usb port. is this bios version the most recent one? there is a way to flash a new bios version (maybe 1.29?) using a usb stick without the presence of an os.. but i dont think the bios version is the problem (it wouldnt have been released if it has such..).
Top Student
Bolin
Message 7 of 16 (29,811 Views)

I have already tried with a cd-drive. Theres nothing wrong with the USB-ports since I can boot an ubuntu-install without any problems from the same port. Also, i have the latest firmware for BIOS.
Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 8 of 16 (29,807 Views)

i can only think of a hd problem due to the disk sanitizer.. did your mini come with windows preinstalled? if not... and i suppose its that case, since you have freedos... then the drivers required to use the hd arent installed (at least not these for windows).

basically the problem is the hd in sata mode not being recognized, therefore the windows installation not wanting to start (during each os installation first several drivers have to be preloaded - the first few minutes before you get to the screen asking you whether you want to install the os, perform an in-place uograde/repair install, use the recovery console etc.). on a desktop pc without any advanced options-constraint this can be easily done by making the sata drive be handled as a ide drive.

how it can be done on a notebook, even worse, a hp notebook with its maximum-5-options-and-thats-all-bios, i dont know, sorry. i seem to remember some kind of pressing F6 during boot when wanting to boot if there are driver problems, but no idea.

hopefully someone knows more about freedos and non-windows-preinstalled-notebooks.

Top Student
Bolin
Message 9 of 16 (29,805 Views)

The computer came with windows xp home pre-installed. The FreeDOS i used to upgrade the bios i downloaded from hp's own site.. it was a win32 application that turned one of my usb-sticks into bootable firmware-upgrade.

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 10 of 16 (29,805 Views)

[ Edited ]

maybe one last idea..

go into your bios setup > system configuration > device configurations

-turn off data execution prevention

-turn off sata native mode

restart

run the file sanitizer again (quick).

maybe then its gonna be running in a non-sata mode and you can boot the win-install. however, if this succeeds, youll have to install sata/ahci drivers manually inside windows afterwards, and then turn on sata native mode again. there should be plenty of articles about that issue around, especially regarding (hp) notebooks, since this problem may occur when downgrading from vista to xp where the xp sata/ahci drivers then are missing.

EDIT: turn on data execution prevention again afterwards as well, of course

EDIT #2: i just took a look through the net and came across several posts where users with the hp 550 notebook complained about the same issue with freedos and windows not wanting to install (although even having a cd drive :smileytongue: ), and it really seems to be this sata mode problem, so try it out.

EDIT #3: STRIKE! hp even helps with this issue!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=de&cc=de&taskId=115&prodSeriesId%...

this way is to integrate the drivers in the windows installation, this certainly works

Message Edited by necrophyte on 09-04-2009 03:06 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation