Question
Beats Audio fluctuates on dv6-70XX & dv7-70XX model notebooks.
Replies (132)

Intern
CPerdomo73
Message 21 of 133 (2,313 Views)

Re: Beats Audio fluctuates on dv6-70XX & dv7-70XX model notebooks.

Thank you for the help Kyle. Unfortunately, my problem is with the new Beats system. The volume keeps going up and down. HP techs tried three different times to fix it by replacing the drivers and the bios. This is a problem that HP or the creators of the beats system have to fix. Apparently, there is a feature that keeps "loudness level" in balance. If that feature could be turned off, the problem would go away.

Intern
Bren10
Message 22 of 133 (2,310 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is such a joke   everyone here is waisting their time. There is another thread about the same situation somewhere in the audio support forums that has a few hundred messages all going around in circles.  The driver update they released on behalf of this is not acceptable.

There is also another driver floating around that basically takes all the bass out which makes it sound even worse.  I have had this issue since i bought my machine and tried everything incwluding every driver available every workaround, and every solution i could try to come up with being very knowledgeable with machines. The workaround in the other bulletin that eliminates beats is the best solution and actually sounds great. I Have always been a pc lover and a mac hater but have messed with a few and even though i wouldnt switch just because of spite they really have their dodo together even with equalizers. How a company as big as hp can put a bogus product out like this is so incomprehensive to me. I can tell you this...  if was the CEO or anyone of authority working for hp i would be embarrased and heads would roll!. Hey Ceo read your customers complaints  numbers are ofcorse importand but i could only imagine how this little issue has effected your sales over the last year. There is no excuse! and your costumers do not want to hear why its been so long that noone has contacted us regarding this situation saying simply  We apologize for blablabla we are fully aware of the situation and are working hard to fix it.                 I also read somewhere that hp doesn't read the bulletins or consider them valid issues.... What silly person came up with that idea??  Thats your customers voice!! it all should be read carefully by a department every morning to make sure any word isnt leaking out about trouble with their machines.I just feel bad for the newbies.

{Content Removed}

Also WE NEED A FIX FOR WIN 7   NOT WIN 8

Top Student
WalkleyBoii
Message 23 of 133 (2,286 Views)

No. Windows 7 64-Bit
Intern
CPerdomo73
Message 24 of 133 (2,282 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bren,

I share your frustration. Imagine my issue since I am a musician and bought this laptop for my concerts. I am the one who suggested eliminating the beats driver and staying with the one that comes with windows. It sounds good. However, that is not the point. Most of us bought our laptops and paid the money because of the sound system.

{Content Removed}

Tutor
jaylveck
Message 25 of 133 (2,257 Views)

Me too. I am a musician needing a decent sounding computer for recording purposes and this is what happens.

Tutor
jaylveck
Message 26 of 133 (2,248 Views)

I sent a message to Meg Whitman, CEO of the company. Hopefully this illicits a response.

Intern
CPerdomo73
Message 27 of 133 (2,243 Views)

jaylveck wrote:

I sent a message to Meg Whitman, CEO of the company. Hopefully this illicits a response.

Maybe all of us should do the same thing.

Student
couldbebear
Message 28 of 133 (2,207 Views)

Pavilion dv 7-7135 us

Can anyone tell me what the settings on the beats audio control panel should be?

bass, treble, center, space, focus

65HZ, 125HZ, 250HZ, 500HZ ... on a scale from 0 >100

1kHZ, 3kHZ, 6kHZ, 9kHZ, 12kHZ ... on a scale from 0 >100

The default setting is't so good. Kinda new to this technology.

Intern
KGB999
Message 29 of 133 (2,186 Views)

Beats is software that sits on top of the IDT sound driver and controls it.  It locks down the driver, so you can't remove it's effects unless you find an alternative driver.  It also doesn't give you full control of your sound, as you can never turn it off even by clicking that check box for Beats Audio off in "listening experience".  All that checking that box does is put the Bass setting at -12, while all the other effects stay on and continue to make the vocals and guitars sound muddy, and the volume to swing with louder and quiet parts.  

The Center slider makes all sound panned in the center louder, Space is a fake surround effect that adds a sort of echo to all sounds on the left and right channel, while Focus is a catchy name given to the sound chip's algorythm that originally allowed to tweak the sound for various speaker and room types, but through Beats only changes the EQ slightly.  Beats or HP don't explain any of that, or allow you to turn any of that bloat off.

In my advice, I recommend replacing the IDT driver with a generic Windows driver, which unlocks your soundcard completely, and makes it clear and louder.  Turning Beats off actually makes the music sound EXACTLY how the artist intended, especially on headphones.  You lose the ability to change EQ settings, except for Bass controls, but you will find that you don't really need it, as overall, the sound is WAY better.

So here it is.  This is not my ideal solution, but works well.

Follow these steps:

1) Press [Windows] + [X] on your keyboard and/or go to Device Manager in the Control Panel

2) Go to Sound, video and game controllers

3) Click on IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

4) Click on the Driver tab

5) Click on Update Driver

6) Select Browse my computer for driver software

7) Select Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer

8) Select High Definition Audio Device

9) Read the warning and click Yes if you understand the risk

10) Restart computer

When your computer restarts:

1) Click on the Volume Control (little speaker) on the bottom right of the task bar.

2) Click on Speakers

3) Click on Enhancements tab

4) If you don't know much about audio, and to help prevent speaker, headphone, ear damage, click on the Loudness Equalization and click Settings, then move the slider to 3/5 or 4/5 towards Long, then click on OK and Apply

5) Enjoy AWESOME sound.

6) If you want more bass, go to Enhancements, and change the Bass Boost setting.  To keep your vocals clear, I recommend adding no more than 12dB at 50Hz for clean and tight boom, or at 75Hz for slightly dirtier boom.

BE CAREFUL, the sound chip on some laptop models is VERY LOUD, and based on my experience, I would not recommend listening to it at more than at 45% volume without the Loudness Equalization activated. If you damage your laptop by using it, your warranty may not cover the repairs, so please, please, please use the limiter or be careful.  If, on the other hand, you find your sound a bit quiet, remove the Loudness Equalization, and you should be fine.

This fix seems to be working for a lot of people on other threads, but ideally, HP should provide controls alternative to Beats Audio to really fix the problem, as we're not using the product we paid for, just an alternative.

Intern
CPerdomo73
Message 30 of 133 (2,181 Views)

KGB999 wrote:

...This fix seems to be working for a lot of people on other threads, but ideally, HP should provide controls alternative to Beats Audio to really fix the problem, as we're not using the product we paid for, just an alternative.

Exactly my point! Thanks KGB999

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation