Question

Honor Student
lesacb
Message 1 of 30 (159,348 Views)

Cannot hear audio via HDMI laptop to TV connection

Hello,

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 running Windows Vista that has an HDMI port.  When I try connecting an HDMI cable to the HDMI port in my TV I can only see video.  No sound comes from the television.  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks for your time.

Intern
JJLuvzU
Message 2 of 30 (159,304 Views)

Re: Cannot hear audio via HDMI laptop to TV connection

Check your volume source, you probably need to switch the volume source.

Double-click on on the little volume icon in the system tray (lower-right corner), to select which source you wanna output your audio.

Teacher
NoNoBadDog
Message 3 of 30 (159,271 Views)

You will need to change your default audio output from analog to digital.

If this post has been helpful to you, please return the favor by clicking on the yellow KUDOS! icon in this box. Thank you! I'm not an HP employee, just someone trying to help others....
Honor Student
lesacb
Message 4 of 30 (159,196 Views)

Thanks guys that fixed it!!

Your the best!

Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 5 of 30 (159,242 Views)

Hello lesacb,

If the users here resolved your issue, you should leave KUDOS where it applies, and also mark the post as SOLVED, so it is easier for other users to find the answer if they have the same problem !

--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Student
Smurf
Message 6 of 30 (154,727 Views)

Cannot hear audio via HDMI laptop to TV connection

Hi I have the same problem. 

• I have a HP Pavilion DV2500 with an HDMI port
  • No sound is played to the TV when connected with an HDMI Cable (Video is fine) even though the bar on the right shows sound being outputted through SPDIF Device
  • Sound Card is: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2
  • Latest Driver installed: Driver Provider: Conexant; Driver Date: 08/10/2008; Driver Version: 4.36.7.61
  • Windows Vista 32 Bit
  • TV Works with Audio and Video with an Xbox with same cable so it is not the cable or TV
  • Sound is fine when playing on laptop speakers, but not when changed to HD Device, Volumn has been set to max

If anyone is able to sort this out, your the hero.

Top Student
MaxQ2003x
Message 7 of 30 (149,281 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey I have the same problem with my computer and it looks like your input helped our last user, so if you have any advice please do help!

I have a newer HP pavilion 1551 laptop, which runs on Windows 7, and initially the sound did work when I'd hooked it up to my TV, however a friend played with the settings and disabled the HDMI feature on the volume, under the tab: device usage

He did this in order to go back to the regular sound, however I'm not sure how to restore it because the HDMI feature's gone, if you know anything about this please let me know, thanks!

Tutor
useless_hp2500
Message 8 of 30 (138,984 Views)

Before connecting the HDMI cable,

Set the default sound output to SPDIF Interface in the COntrol panel --- > SOund  settings.

Then connect HDMI cable. you would be golden.

Honor Student
neil52
Message 9 of 30 (125,665 Views)

I have a hp g62 intel i3 with windows 7. when i connect my laptop to my sony tv with an hdmi cable i have fine video but no sound. when i go to sound in control panel, it tells me that the sound is coming out of the tv.

Student
irabradley
Message 10 of 30 (125,045 Views)

go to the speaker icon on your lower task bar...RIGHT  click on icon. Two audio choices will appear the top one is your internal speakers the 2nd one is to your hdmi sound.. Left click on the second one.. a screen will appear showing both choices again.. left click on the second one.. and left click on the default choice right below that. the screen will close....Now to get your sound back into your speakers again, after you are finished with your HDMI usuage.. Simily reverse the process, once again Right clicking on the speaker icon, left click on the lst or top speaker icon.. the screen will appear again.. left click on the top icon, and left click on the default icon.....This is the only way I could get the HDMI to activate.. and it works wonderfully.........GOOD LUCK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation