Question

Student
JayAddison
Message 1 of 32 (11,578 Views)

HELP!!!! HP Dv7 audio Issue

Hello ,  I have a HP Dv7 with beats audio. The issue is: I hear a glinch in thru my speakers when I play my music or watch a video clip on youtube, msnbc ,etc on the internet. It lasts for about half a sec but, it is continous throughout the my media. This is the 2nd HP that has done this. the first one I brought online directly from HP. I sent it in for repair but when I got it back, it still did this. So I returned it and got a refund. I brought this one from amazon and it does the same exact thing. Is this something that happens with all the new HPs?? Can I fix this?? And does anyone esle have this problem??

I have updated all drivers and its still there. Here's my specs.:

• Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.60GHz); 6GB DDR3 SDRAM memory (2 DIMM) (expandable to 8GB); 1TB (Terabyte 2x500GB 7200 RPM) hard drive; Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 17.3 Inch diagonal High-Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 switchable graphics with 1GB dedicated DDR3 memory up to 3738MB total graphics memory
  • External Ports: 5-in-1 memory card reader; 4 USB 2.0 (4th port shared with eSATA); 1 HDMI; 1 VGA (15-pin); 1 RJ -45 (LAN); 1 Headphone-out; 1 Microphone-in
  • LightScribe Technology Blu-ray/SuperMulti DVD Burner; Beats Audio and HP Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer; Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN; Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Brushed aluminum finish; 101-key compatible with island-style full-size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad; HP Clickpad with On/Off button; HP TrueVision Webcam with integrated digital microphone; HP SimplePass with integrated fingerprint reader

UPDATE: If seem to only do it when my AC adapter (120w) is plugged in. I went to Bestbuy and brought a HP smart adapter (90w). This problem is still there even witha smaller watt adapter. Can someone plz HELP???,,,

Honor Student
videoouija
Message 2 of 32 (11,482 Views)

Re: HELP!!!! HP Dv7 audio Issue

I am having the *exact* same issue with the dv7 I purchased at Sam's Club today that matches your specs. My exact model is the dv7-4197cl.

Thanks to you I know that unplugging the power resolves it. But I shouldn't have to do that. I'm with Jay -- any help would be wonderful HP!

A+ Certified, MCDST
HP Pavilion dv7-4197cl Laptop
Homebuilt Core i5 750 Desktop
Tutor
arniebook
Message 3 of 32 (11,345 Views)

I bought the same (DV7-4197CL) Laptop today at Sam’s Club (great specs for the money). It has low levels with Blue-ray and also low level crappy sound with mp3’s. This is supposed to be an “entertainment” computer, so bad sound is a fatal flaw!

I sure would like to know real soon if there’s a fix for this.  I might try a second copy from Sam’s, but if its bad too HP will lose a customer.

Student
ibndgym
Message 4 of 32 (11,331 Views)

i have a 3 day old dv7 4170. The sound was awesome for about one song on a cd then it sounded like I blew the peakers. It's muffled/static sounding. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, tried the unplug power cord on the earlier post....nothing. headphones sound the same way. I haven't plugged in external speakers yet. Help!

Top Student
aj91686
Message 5 of 32 (11,300 Views)

I just recently purchased a dv7t notebook as well... The first 4 days - no issues at all with the sound, however I am also now experiencing the "buzzing" or "hissing" sound that you all seem to be noticing. It's to the point where I cannot really enjoy listening to any sort of audio while working on other programs (sometimes it even just happens randomly without doing any work on the laptop either).

I talked with a friend in computer repair and he seems to feel that it is a grounding issue with the motherboard of the laptop and the sound that I am hearing through the speakers is actually excess electricity that has nowhere to bleed off so it comes out through the soundcard or something... The only fix is to have the motherboard re-secured (if this is actually the problem).

Luckily I purchased a 3 year protection plan for it... Love the laptop otherwise.

Top Student
aj91686
Message 6 of 32 (11,270 Views)

OK, I seem to have pinpointed the problem to what is known as a "ground loop" issue. A ground loop is a current in a conductor connecting two points that are supposed to be at the same potential but are actually at diferent potentials. They cause noise and interference in audio and video systems and are extremely common issues in many laptops.

So, with that said, the route problem is still, in my opinion, an un-secured motherboard. Everyone having this problem should try testing this sound issue by unplugging your laptop from the charger (run it on the battery only) and see if that makes any difference with this buzzing sound going away or not. I noticed running on the battery only that the buzzing sound completely vanishes when running from the battery only.

If this is your problem, their are two solutions I can think of. Call HP support and tell them you think you may have a ground loop issue relevant to the motherboard not being properly secured and see if they'll offer a suggestion to have it repaired. Hopefully if you all are on protection plans/warranties they will send you an overnight Fed-Ex box so you can send them the laptop and have them \resecure the motherboard free of charge. The other option is to purchase a ground loop isolator (run a google search for it or have a look at a local electronics store for it). They're not too expensive, generally between $20-60 from what I'm finding. By plugging in this device, it should stop the unwanted buzzing sounds dead in their tracks...

Hope this information helps. I should mention I'm definitely no pro at computers (just know a lot of friends in the industry and happen to enjoy fixing things myself). Hopefully someone from hp support is also looking into this and can offer more insight...

If this is definitely a problem with an unsecured motherboard - I certainly hope hp can and will look into their factory equipment building the laptops (my assumption is the plant is in or near Shanghai, China as that is where my laptop shipped from) to hopefully prevent this issue from occuring in the future. It's not pleasant spending the money I did on a laptop to have an audio problem like this surface within a week of receiving it. I would definitely expect higher quality than this...

Regards,

AJ

Intern
wBerk
Message 7 of 32 (11,161 Views)

@aj91686

Very nice research, well done :smileyhappy:

However, I do think the the OP is having a very different issue, it nothing to do with the audio quality as such but skipping and glitching. Buzzing from the speakers is unlikely to be caused by the same thing. His issue is most likely a driver issue similar to mine caused by bad latency. See my post

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/IDT-HD-Codec-Audio-Glitching-issue/m-p/4060...

Intern
maggotdc
Message 8 of 32 (10,985 Views)

I got Pavilion DV7 4121 with stuttering sound issue from the box. Just now i'm unplug power cord - and voila! No glitches in games around 1 hour (battery life period)!!! Plug back power cord - and all glitches are here!

So i think ground loop is the problem!

Honor Student
Stanbikeman
Message 9 of 32 (10,478 Views)

I bought a DV7 4190us directly from HP just before Christmas.  I too have the problem of audio noise and jittering video when the laptop is plugged in.  I went through one round of HP phone support updating bios, chipsets, and drivers with no improvement.  I will call again and send it back for repair or replacement if necessary.

Tutor
calebcox51
Message 10 of 32 (10,471 Views)

Try disabling hard drive protection in mobility center.  It fixed the problem for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation