Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I've recently been having some sound trouble with my Envy 15, whenever im using sound on my laptop to for example listen to music or watch a video the sound crackles every now and then its like a kinda static crackle, its really annoying, anyone know a fix for this?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Updating Audio Drivers and BIOS for your PC might fix the issue...

||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
HP Recommended

did all that, still not fixed

HP Recommended

Problem solved! You must turn off HP Cool Sense. It is a really bad power/heat manageing software. It worked for me on two different ENVY 15's. I had to send mine back and buy another, however the issue was still present. I started fooling around with the power features and performance options. Also graphics card switching, however, HP cool sense needs to be turned off for the computer to operate well on videos. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here after just 2 months. Searched through these forums for so long for a solution. What seemed to work for others just didn't work for me. Tried updating the drivers, BIOS, disabling ProectSmart, all of that and more. Nothing worked. Just couldn't get rid of that crackling noise...untill today. Below are the steps that worked for me. No guarantee that this will work for you as everyone seems to have different solutions work for them.

Open Windows Control Panel > Sound > Under Playback tab, double click on Speakers to open Properties > Go to Advanced tab > Fromt the dropdown, select the highest quality stereo output. By default its on the secong lowest setting which is DVD quality > Apply and close.

Not done yet! After this the crackling was still there.

Next, in the Sound Control Panel still, move from the Playback tab to the Recording tab. Double click on Stereo Mix to open the properties and repeat the steps done earlier. Go to Advanced tab, select highest quality from the drop down, and you done! No more crackling! Well for me atleast. Maybe these settings along with the latest drivers does the trick. Hope it works for you too.

Note: This was not on a 1060ea. I have a HP Envy 15 1100se 

Cheers!

HP Recommended
Thank you so much for that fix.
HP Recommended

@ jerferns, Thankyou sooooo much the crackling sound is gone!!! I even have a different computer than you but it worked!!! Thanks!!!

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much!  I have a different Envy, but same problem!  Watched/listened to a webinar just fine on Thursday night, and on Friday morning - nothing but crackling in my Beats speakers!  Tried all the solutions on HP Support and scoured forums - then found this.  In the end, I changed my playback and record/stereo both to 24bit 96000 Hz to get the fix, but it seems to be working!

Thanks, again!

HP Recommended

Worked for me too.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

When i got to the stereo mix to change the quality its dark gray and i cant change it, but it says im on dvd quality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.