Headphones plugged in, but speakers are still playing sound --Pavillion dv5 notebook (153279 Views)
Top Student
jkoontz2010
Message 1 of 95 (153,279 Views)
Accepted Solution

Headphones plugged in, but speakers are still playing sound --Pavillion dv5 notebook

Also, this solution doesn't work:

"All u need to do, is right click Communication headphones, and click Disable.

right click Sound button on taskbar>  playback devices

now you have speakers and headphones selected as default device, and communication headphones seleted as default communication device."

The communication headphones have been disabled, but the speakers still play alongside the headphones.

I think part of the problem is that the playback device is "Speakers and headphones", but I can't split this into two separate devices for the life of me.

Furthermore, if I disable "Speakers and Headphones" and enable "Communication headphones", the problem fixes itself and then introduces new problems: certain programs requiring sound output do not work, and the volume-changing buttons on my keyboard don't change the volume.

I have IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC (as a driver?).

this has been an issue for a while; I can't remember what I did before this happened. I suspect it was the audio driver update, but that's a wild guess. 

help?

Honor Student
RockHeart
Message 2 of 95 (153,277 Views)

Re: Headphones plugged in, but speakers are still playing sound --Pavillion dv5 notebook

Select headphone as default device.

Top Student
jkoontz2010
Message 3 of 95 (153,275 Views)

Re: Headphones plugged in, but speakers are still playing sound --Pavillion dv5 notebook

How so? The only thing that shows in the "Playback Devices" list are "Speakers and headphones" and "Communication headphones". No single "Speakers" or "Headphones" device

Top Student
sheanhoxie
Message 4 of 95 (152,511 Views)

This happened to me recently, here is what happened and how I got my headphones working

Cause: I accidentally plugged my headphones into my mic jack, this caused win7 to change my  headphones to a communication device

Solution:

1. Make sure your headophones are plugged into the headphone jack

2. Go to your control panel

3. Click Sound

4. Click on the Playback tab (should be default tab)

5. Click on the item Speakers / Headphones

6. In the drop down menu click on Set as Default

7. This should remove the little phone icon from the headphones and your headphones should now work

Student
Tarzo322
Message 5 of 95 (137,285 Views)

I have tried all of these "solutions" but my speakers and headphones are still playing at the same time. There must be some better help.

Student
happily
Message 6 of 95 (132,963 Views)

my speakers and headphones playing at the same time

Student
squegeeboo
Message 7 of 95 (132,589 Views)

Hey, I had this same exact issue.  I was able to fix it, kind of.  My computer has an audio in and two audio out jacks.  One audio out still plays thru headset and computer speakers, but when I finally just tried the other jack, it only plays thru headset, this is the closest i've come to solving the issue.

Additionally, in programs like skype and google hangout, I've had to play with their audio settings, not just the windows audio settings.

I still can't actually set the headset to be the deafult device, but the sound is only on the headset now, close enough!

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 8 of 95 (132,165 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey squegeeboo, 

I'm sorry you ran into this issue with your sound. Good job working with it so far though! 

sheanhoxie mentioned in a post above that he/she had accidently plugged the headphones into the mic/audio in jack and then the computer wouldn't allow headphones to be set as the default playback device.

He/she said the headphones had to be plugged into the standard headphones jack in order to switch Speaker & Headphones to the default playback device.

PB2.jpg

I'd like to get a look at your audio in/out jacks. Could you get me your product number so I can pull the manual up? Here are the steps to find your product number. FN + ESC is the quickest way to pull it up. Hope this information helps! 

Honor Student
macleod2013
Message 9 of 95 (129,486 Views)

hi there,

Having a nightmare so far with windows 8 we have just bought a new HP laptop.  Miss the older versions which were more user friendly.  Having the same problems as many people in that the headphones and speakers work and the speakers do not mute when the headphones are plugged in.  We have tried all the advice on this forum as well as spending time googleing answers but with no luck at all.

Please can someone offer any advice.

Many thanks.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 10 of 95 (129,322 Views)

Hey macleod2013,

I'm sorry you're having an issue with your sound. Without knowing exactly what you've tried, it's hard to know where to start on providing troubleshooting steps.

Have you had any headphones or external speakers plugged in recently?

Which notebook is it? You can find your product number by pressing FN + ESC or following the steps here.

Does it work this way for every program you try to play sound from? Internet browsers (youtube, netflix)? Windows Media Player? Dvds? Games?

Have you checked the default playback device to make sure it is set to speakers and headphones? 

What type of headphones do you have?

Did you try sheanhoxie's advice from above?

Once, I know a little more about your particular situation, I'll be able to help more.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation