Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just got myself a brand new laptop installed windows 8 pro on it ,the drivers provided from your site ,and after a short period of time i noticed strange sound ,playing a normal song and the i just hear like a bpp(the sound that a speakers make when its disconected fro mthe power cord while running that short brrrrp)  

Now i thought it`s  just me ,i asked a few of my friends to try and they where also hearing the sound ,i tryed the headphones and the same storry ,that sound is coming  very short and then dissaperaing ,i noticed it`s more usual when i use more of the laptop ,im sure it`s a driver issue ,since without the idt driver it was non existent ,the sound was much lover but crystal clear

Also tryied the control pane  from here and the sound went all crazy

1. C:\Program Files\IDT\WD 

This is my first hp and im very attached to it please help me 😞
    i will supply any needed information
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, first of all thx for the reply i really thought no one give a **bleep** about my problems and that im probably having a harware issue.

The thing is i managed to solve the problems 😄 ,what ihave done is updated all the drivers to the latest version ,and those where the idt audio driver, synaptics ,realtek nic (network) ralink (wifi bluetooth) and the graphic`s  .

I also did some changes in intels rapid storage tehnology (very important must be sure to have the last one ,i suspect this sucker to be the unwanted autotune ) anyway u must open ntel rapid storage and go to andvance and ther u must DISABLE the Link power management1.JPG

The next thing u must do is go to th infamous audio driver gui (graphical user interface) and some change`s there to.

C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM

And open idtngui.exe

Now go to advance setting`s and make sure the first button is ENABLE (which means the function is actually disabled).

This thing shoud automaticly turn off the speakers when u are not listening to anything ,without it u will feel no difference.

If you or anyone else that read`s this need`s any aditional help fell free to contact me at cosmin_mocan@yahoo.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Its not just you, my laptop is doing the same thing. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and it "honks" (almost sound like a short honk of a trombone) and it happens randomly but about every 20-30 seconds mostly. Its driving me nutz. I'm hoping some finds and answer and shares it with us. Sorry I don't have a solution for you but at least you now know you are not alone in this. I started another thread on this matter before I found your thread here.
HP Recommended

Hi, first of all thx for the reply i really thought no one give a **bleep** about my problems and that im probably having a harware issue.

The thing is i managed to solve the problems 😄 ,what ihave done is updated all the drivers to the latest version ,and those where the idt audio driver, synaptics ,realtek nic (network) ralink (wifi bluetooth) and the graphic`s  .

I also did some changes in intels rapid storage tehnology (very important must be sure to have the last one ,i suspect this sucker to be the unwanted autotune ) anyway u must open ntel rapid storage and go to andvance and ther u must DISABLE the Link power management1.JPG

The next thing u must do is go to th infamous audio driver gui (graphical user interface) and some change`s there to.

C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM

And open idtngui.exe

Now go to advance setting`s and make sure the first button is ENABLE (which means the function is actually disabled).

This thing shoud automaticly turn off the speakers when u are not listening to anything ,without it u will feel no difference.

If you or anyone else that read`s this need`s any aditional help fell free to contact me at cosmin_mocan@yahoo.com

HP Recommended

Thanks, I already downloaded the drivers and over wrote all with a fresh install (even though they were simply replacing the same version drivers).  I opened the Intel Rapid Storage Technology folder and selected internal system disk and selected advance butit  didn't have anything that said Link Power Management or anything even close to that.  I kept searching but I have nothing like it on my laptop.  Then I went into the Program Files on the C drive and opened the IDT folder and then into the WDM folder and opened IDTNGUI... in the SRS interface I looked around, went into advanced and tried it with both "enable" and then "disable" for the POWER but neither setting did anything to affect the honking.  I tried other settings but to no avail.  Interesting was after I downloaded and reinstalled the IDT audio driver the honking was gone for several minutes and I thought it had solved the problem but then it finally honked and continued it old pattern of honking every half minute or so.  Thanks for the help tho...

HP Recommended

Well i read on the dell forums(the idt problems persist`s on all laptops aparently) that the buttons may be buggy so they did something interestin , the enabled it ,set the time to 0 and then disable it again ,personally i did that before updating my drivers and it did not work ,but i hope it does for you ,as for the intel rapid storage the picture is a print screen from my laptop so i don`t know what to say ,maybe if i give you the exact driver version  ?

Im looking forward to help you 🙂 

HP Recommended

I'll bet we have different versions of rapid storage because I believe it depends upon the type and configuration of hard drives your are using.  HP website offer me only one driver download and it is dated two years ago with no previous version available.... however if I go to the Intel website there is a plethora of Rapid Storage drivers to pick from and with recent date too, like only a month or two old.  I'm leary of downloading and installing these since the Intel website even says go to HP and get the version specific to my laptop model plus if I bugger the drive up I won't be able to access my drive image... I've had to resort of reloading an older image a couple times already as I try to figure this out.

By the way, after actually timing the honks using the computer's clock, I find it occurs with precise accurary... exactly every 30 seconds without fail... its just sometimes it a little harder to notice that at other times but if I'm paying attention I find it happens every 30 seconds without fail.  Also its accompanied by the briefest of a stuttter just prior to the honk... I think this is related to the soundcard (chip) internal clock... I don't know a lot about how sound working in a computer but I do remember sometime about jutter and using an internal clock to keep things timed correctly by readjusting at intervals.  I'm now wondering if this isn't something hardware related and not fixable through software?  Look back at past threads in this forum I'm seeing a bunch of them where it seems to be struggling with the same audio issue only its hard to describe the sound and so everyone thinks they are alone in this and starts a new thread each time.  I've tried many of the things suggested in all those threads and none have made any difference really.  It still honks every 30 seconds any time I play anything with audio regardless of where the file is sourced.  This is soooo frustrating.  For more details on what all I've tried so far you can refer to the other thread I started yesterday (before I came across your thread here).

HP Recommended

First of all the 30 second bug ,like I said it`s a bug ,i really reccommend you to use a driver updater software so that it will do the job for you ,i used Uniblu driver scanner ,but there are other free good ones like slimdriverfree .

My audio driver is version 6.2.9200.16384 ,and intel rapid storage is version 12.5.0.1066

Just try this drivers that i use ,maybe they will work ,and definitly update the radeon driver (if u have one) to the latest .

The thing with laptops is that some models really do require specific versions from the oem ,my last dell (inspiron 1501) would not use any other vga driver but the one from there site ,not even the oficial ati driver but the one from th dell (whici was modifie ,and that was the reason) what im trying to say it that u must not get driver away by such advices ,they are very general but mostly not usefull.

Please keep me posted with your progress

HP Recommended

YES!!!!  I found the answer and it was soooo stupid its not funny.  I contacted HP chat support and it was the very first solution given as if they deal with this issue routinely.  Apparently it was the HP Power Assistant program.  Once it wascompletely uninstalled and reboot the compute the issue vanished.  Who would have guessed?  Bizarre to say the least... can't believe they don't have this solution in their FAQs on the website.

HP Recommended

Cosma, thanks for all you efforts.  Appreciated.

HP Recommended

I`m glad i could help you man,i know how frustrating can be to buy a new laptop and have such issues with it (had same with an acer in 2009) but that one took me 2 years to figure out :)).

Anyway happy easter ,and have a nice day.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.