Question

Tutor
KJS1977
Message 1 of 26 (55,091 Views)
Accepted Solution

No HDMI sound after Windows 8.1 update

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you can help?

I have the Envy 15 which came pre-installed with Win8.  When the 8.1 update came out I installed and now can't get any audio when connecting via HDMI to my TV although image is there.

I've ensured all the drivers are updated AFAIK, but in the Device Manager I get the highlighted, obviously as above, the cable is plugged in.

HDMI.png

All was working fine prior to the update and I have also used 4 different cables, which are all fine as I also have an old Compaq laptop which is still running Win8 allows audio via HDMI.

Do any of you experts have any thoughts on this?

Regards, and thanks in advance.

Kian

Student
IceRkX
Message 2 of 26 (54,928 Views)

Re: No HDMI sound after Windows 8.1 update

Hi,

I just had that same problem earlier on my hp envy 15 touchsmart.

What i did to fix it is that i re-installed my "IDT high-definition (hd) audio driver" using the hp recovery manager because the program keeps all the driver of your laptop.

After i reboot my laptop i just went to sounds and make my hdmi sounds driver on default.

hope this helps.

Tutor
KJS1977
Message 3 of 26 (54,843 Views)

I'm afraid it hasn't helped..Infact, has made things worse.

Now I don't get any video as well as audio!

Tutor
KJS1977
Message 4 of 26 (54,513 Views)

Well I went for a factory reset, back to Windows 8. After all the updates I checked and had both audio and visual. However, after updating to Win 8.1 again, I get NO audio! Grrrr...
Honor Student
jminturn91
Message 5 of 26 (54,336 Views)

I had the same problem. After spending a few hours on it I did a system reset back to Windows 8. It works now. It might just be unsupported at this time. Now my problem is getting my files off of a file history backup.

Tutor
KJS1977
Message 6 of 26 (54,335 Views)

Actually, the first time around was a 'refresh' as all files were retained.  Yesterday I did a 'recovery' which put me back to out of the box set up.

once all the updates were done I tested and all worked fine, HDMI audio and visual.  Updated to 8.1 and just had visual.  I rebooted the Notebook and again I had audio.

It appears that with 8.1 I have to switch off the notebook and plug into the tv prior to switching back on which is something I didn't need to do with Win 8. (note. I did try rebooting the notebook prior to posting on here) so yes, not supported with 8.1 and must have had a corrupt intsall previously.

Honor Student
jminturn91
Message 7 of 26 (54,327 Views)

So you have to go through that process every time you want to used HDMI output?

I hope this is changed soon. At least it is a fix though.
Tutor
KJS1977
Message 8 of 26 (54,318 Views)

Yup...for now at least.  I too hope that they issue a fix for it, and fast.

Honor Student
andrewtz
Message 9 of 26 (53,761 Views)

I'm experiecing this exact same problem, this is really lame HP get your stuff together.

Honor Student
andrewtz
Message 10 of 26 (53,754 Views)

I don't know why this is listed as solved.  Have to turn off your computer and then plug in the HDMI is not an acceptable solution to me HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation