Question

Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 1 of 10 (2,237 Views)

Speakers won't work unless I plug in headphone - or mic.

[ Edited ]

I've spent 2 days looking on this forum and many others - and cannot find a solution to this problem .  

Here is what I know.  

I cannot get sound out of my speakers unless I plug something into a headphone or microphone jack.  When I do that, it will play through the speakers AND the headphones - UNLESS - I plug a headphone into either headphone jack AND a microphone into the microphone jack.  When I do that, it finally plays ONLY thru the headphones. Pull the microphone out - sound comes through the speakers.  Take all of them out - no sound out of speakers.

Here is what I've done.  

• A complete rebuild back to factory settings.
  • A hard reset and BIOS default after removing the drivers and reinstalling the original driver for my machine as administrator.
  • A hard reset and BIOS default after removing the drivers and reinstalling the latest driver for my machine as administrator.
  • Disabling the communication headphones and reboot.  
  • Enabling the communication headphones and reboot.
  • Did the Windows troubleshooting - nothing showing

Here are some other oddities.

• The Audio Control appears to be calling my speakers Analog Jacks instead of Speakers ( a clue as to why all of this is happening ? )

audiocontrol.jpg

• If I'm playing music or a video and adjust the volume on, preview, or test the communication headphones - the music will come through the speakers briefly.

Sorry..it is a

LW468UA

Windows 7

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 10 (2,211 Views)

Re: Speakers won't work unless I plug in headphone - or mic.

[ Edited ]

While in the Audio control panel under Playback devices ,are the speakers listed at all? (sorry waiting for approval of you pic to display). If they aren't right click an empty space in there and choose 'Show disabled devices' .If  the speakers show up as disabled right click and enable.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 3 of 10 (2,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply.  No, they are not listed - as a separate device.  They are listed as Headphones and Speakers.  That is the control panel of them in the picture.  

It appears to me that the front panel analog jacks are the speakers in the front and the rear and the bottom analog jack is the woofer - while the left panel 3.5 is what is actually is.  The other two jacks are the communication headphone jacks (headphone and mic).

I'm just throwing this out there and don't really have a clue.  I do know that the beats control panel doesn't appear to give as much control over the IDT device as the native IDT control panel does...

Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 4 of 10 (2,171 Views)

[ Edited ]

So is no one else going to offer anything ?  Giving up after one question ?  I know HP probably doesn't want anything too 'drastic' posted here for a repair, but you guys are only offering the most basic of advice.    So we are basically stuck with the problem - unless we want to pay.  Nice.

Well, I'm off to join the other 80% who post here without a resolve.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 10 (2,143 Views)

I'm sorry, but afraid you mentioned in first post that  you have tried everything I know of to try. And my Audio Control Panel looks the same as yours.

Unless someone else has something_I'm fresh out of ideas.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 6 of 10 (2,136 Views)

And I truly appreciate you stopping by and saying that. It's very frustrating out here knowing we have fairly new computers with a problem quite a few of us are having - and there is no recognition by HP, much less a promise at an attempt of a resolution.

I'm loading a portable Linux distro to try to confirm a software conflict. Since I'm able to hear music when adjusting the volume on the communication device, I don't believe it's hardware. We shall see.

If it is software, maybe you should fire Dre and send him back to producing music - not software. JK..
Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 7 of 10 (2,111 Views)

Update.  It appears that we have a hardware failure.  Whatever has happened - the symptoms are exactly the same in Linux (Ubuntu).   This is WAY beyond a forum discussion unless a quick fix for this short can be found.  Thanks

Honor Student
g_david
Message 8 of 10 (2,099 Views)

I am having a similar problem on my dv7-4177nr except the audio has jus gone very very quiet.  I have tried using headphoones and  there is ample volume.  If I wiggle (technical term) the 3.5mm jack half in-out there is often a burst of sound.

It seems like a hardware problem.

I feel confident to examine the jacks but would feel happier if I knew the sequence to expose them.  Is there a service sheet that will help.:smileyfrustrated:

Tutor
EyeInStein
Message 9 of 10 (2,094 Views)

I did not sit through it because I don't think the quad version is the same, but try watching this.  I'm sure there are manuals, but I didn't look for any.  I'm not certified by HP (or anyone.. for that matter), but have been tearing down and repairing computers for nearly 20 years (since DOS and dual floppies).  I dove into mine today, but as is promised about the beats audio setup - it is more isolated - therefore insulated.  I wasn't going to take off the layer of protection surrounding the plugs to have a look/see..  I'll just carry dual plugged headphones and pull the speaker side plug when I want to listen through the laptop speakers.

I would like to know why it is happening to so many - and what exactly IS happening.  I just don't have the time or inclination to dig any deeper right now.

Honor Student
g_david
Message 10 of 10 (2,065 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  The video would not win many awards but it did help a bit, even ifit only gave me the confidence to perform the operation:smileyhappy:  It also motivated me to search the HP site and found the repair manual (google c02642701.pdf).

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation