Terrible sound quality from my HP Pavilion dv5 (6686 Views)
Student
rkrisel
Message 1 of 16 (6,686 Views)

Terrible sound quality from my HP Pavilion dv5

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought my HP Pavilion dv5 a little over a month ago and over the past week or so the sound quality seems to have gotten worse and worse.  The sound just sounds really crackly and fuzzy at parts and it doesn't seem to be limited to the bass or anything like that.  Its sort of hard to explain, but its incredibly annoying and its gotten so bad I cant even listen to music.  All my drivers and stuff seem to be fine and lowering the volume or listening through speakers doesnt seem to help the problem at all.  This makes me think somethings wrong with my sound card, but from what I've been able to see in device manager and stuff like that I cant find any problems.  Maybe its physically damaged?  I haven't dropped the computer at all though I have take it to class in my backpack  a coupe times.  Its never taken any bad hits though.  I'm very perplexed, any help of where to start trying to solve this problem would be really appreciated.

Under device manager it lists my sound devices as an ATI High Definition Audio Device and a IDT High Definition Audio Codec.

Thanks

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 16 (6,670 Views)

Re: Terrible sound quality from my HP Pavilion dv5

Hi,

1. Post your part number (p/n) . You'll find it at the bottom of the laptop on a sticker, which looks like this.

2. Which system are you using now?

3. Go to:

Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games Controllers

and find there IDT audio card. Click on it with right button of your mouse and choose properties. Then go to ' Details ' tab and paste here Hardware Ids . This way we will know what it is.

Below You've got example how to do it:

464i329EA20FEFCDC76A
466i652BE51C12165A92
467iC2AEC23384DE4519

4. Download and run DPC Latency Checker. Show me screenshot with graph from it.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Student
VW_Rick
Message 3 of 16 (6,459 Views)

Hi, I have had a similar problem,my sound has been good for all of 4 years but is now all of a sudden godawful.

My laptop is  a hp pavilion something or another and this is its p/n...

gp629EA#ABU

The soundcard is a Conexant high definition audio one and device manager is telling me that its working properly.  Here are its IDS numbers..

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30CF&REV_1001
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30CF

Screenshot of DPC Latency checker..  [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/rsarick/DPClatencycheckerreport.jpg?t=1293911837[/IMG]

Thanks a lot for reading, hope you can help!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 4 of 16 (6,409 Views)

@VW_Rick

Hi,

1. Which system are you using?

2. Have you installed lately (before this problem showed up) any Windows Updates?

3. Have you installed lately (before this problem showed up) any newer drivers?

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
hpdv5user
Message 5 of 16 (6,286 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

I am having the same problem! sound is fuzzy through laptop speakers, through headphones, and through external speakers, for music, for films, for sounds such as windows msn beep.

i have updated my sound driver and it still doesnt work.

the details you have requested above are as follows

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76B2&SUBSYS_103C3600&REV_1003
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76B2&SUBSYS_103C3600

link to latency checker
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu99/careton123/latency.png

i have a HP pavillion dv5 1110em

the p/n is FU738EA#/ABU

i have installed windows 7 but this was a while ago..

my cd drive stopped working a few months back but i had a new driver installed and now that works..

I also flashed/updated my BIOS from version f.13 to f.38 id 3600 but this has not helped

please help me i desperately need my speakers to work! idk what im going to do without music :smileysad:

Tutor
Nckhammond
Message 6 of 16 (6,189 Views)

i wonder if could be a codec problem.  try playing somthing with vlc player that uses its own codecs to see if the sound it still fuzzy.

Honor Student
hpdv5user
Message 7 of 16 (6,165 Views)

its not relevant,

VLC is my main video player..

I have tried that also Windows Media Player,

Thanks though

Student
waqar_ahmed
Message 8 of 16 (5,078 Views)

Issue in dv6 3300se

Dear Sir,

I have bought HP DV6 3300se laptop few months before, i noticed that its sound quality is not as i expected. I think their must be some settings by which iit sound can be much better, can you please help me out in this,

Looking forward for your reply, Thanks...

Intern
ElyMayor
Message 9 of 16 (2,236 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am experiencing a similar problem, but mine is a dv7. My computer sound has been running fine for over a year. Then, for about the last three months, I am experiencing drop outs and odd noises every so often (once every 4-5 songs). It lasts about 1 second, and then returns to normal. Do I need a new sound card? It doesn't sound like a software issue to me but all drivers are up to date. Thanks, Ed.

My info:

Product name: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Product number: LW181UA#ABA

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Top Student
Buri288
Message 10 of 16 (2,039 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm having this same issue as of today.  It's only through the speaker audio however, if I'm using a headset the sound is absolutely fine.

The only thing I've changed recently is I updated my webcam driver because that too was giving me issues.  I tried updating the audio driver thinking maybe that would fix it like it did my webcam but it was unsuccessful.

I have an HP Pavilion G7 Notebook, product number LF157UA#ABA and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  I have two different audio drivers though?  One is AMD High Definition Audio Device and the other is IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation