Question

Intern
Photorich56
Message 1 of 6 (1,506 Views)
Accepted Solution

Bring My Presario R3200, (PN 470UA#ABA), back to factory state

Hi folks,

In 2004 I bought an HP Compaq Presario R 3000, it was my first computer. The operating system is Windows XP home edition. I don't know if the part number, (PN 470UA#ABA), and serial number are important but I do have them if they're needed.

I want to bring the computer back to its original factory state, (I'm giving it away). If I made a set of recovery disks I can't remember where I put them. So what I'm looking for are recovery disks/restore disks or some suggestion as to how I could bring this computer back to its original factory state.

According to HP they no longer supply restoration disks for any windows XP operating systems in laptops. The laptop O/S is not equipped with the recovery manager option but it does have a wizard to take me through the process if I can get the disks.

So that's it, can anyone help? Thank you

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 6 (1,499 Views)

Re: Bring My Presario R3200, (PN 470UA#ABA), back to factory state

You can find instructions at below link to recover your notebook back to factory state

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00006110&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=18703

HP no longer provides restore/recovery disks for your Notebook model as it has reached end of support life but probably you may find it at below link

http://www.restoredisks.com/

http://www.hpandcompaq.com

Note:

Both links provided above are 3rd party and not related in anyway to HP

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Intern
Photorich56
Message 3 of 6 (1,490 Views)

Thank You Kamat! All that info will prove invaluable! Especially the 'How to link' because I just found my "Application & Driver Recovery DVD" as well as my Operating System CD!

Frankly, I was disappointed with myself when I went looking for them a few days ago and didn't find them then. My wife says I'm 'obsessive' about keeping paperwork and such so I really felt like I had let myself down.

But then last night, I screwed something up on that little laptop and the thing will only go into a loop from start up to the black screen that gives you the option to start in "safe mode", "start Windows normally", etc. etc. and then it goes back to the starting phase again and just continues that over and over regardless of what I pick, (and I've tried them all).

I had tried everything including removing the battery and then restarting but had absolutely no luck. Then this morning I thought about a place I may have put the discs a few years ago when I got the computer. Lo and behold! I found it. in the file cabinet!

I'm guessing I have to run the Application and Driver Recovery DVD first but I'm going to read the "how to" section from the link you gave me.

Thanks again.

Intern
Photorich56
Message 4 of 6 (1,484 Views)

Hi Kamat, Thanks again for the info you offered in your response to my questions regarding the Recovery System Discs for the Compaq Presario R3200.

As you may have read already in my response to you in the forum, I have found the O/S CD and the Applications & Driver Recovery DVD and I thought I could find info on how and which one to run first.

Unfortunately, I seem to be asking the wrong questions in the HP Forum search engine so I was hoping that you can just give me a little push in the right direction, (I'm not a pro but I have a pretty good understanding of computers none the less). I first thought I should run the Apps & Driver Recovery DVD but now I think that I maybe should run the O/S CD first.

Keeping in mind that I was planning to get to the "Wizard" section of the whole process, I realized that I can't get that if I don't have an O/S so am I right in guessing that the O/S is the first thing I would load?

In addition, this O/S CD is windows XP with service Pack 2. But when I was last able to run the computer it said it had XP Serv Pack 3. So I assume I need to fully update the O/S BEFORE running the Apps & Driver Recovery DVD, yes?

Thank You, Rich

Intern
Photorich56
Message 5 of 6 (1,475 Views)

Never mind Kamat, I realized that it wouldn't really make sense to run anything but the O/S System Disc first if I couldn't even boot up, (duh, I had a momentary lapse of reasoning). Anyway, I am installing the O/S and am simply following the initial instructions you linked me to and then the install wizard.

Thanks again, Rich

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 6 of 6 (1,449 Views)

Sorry for late response and glad to know you got the problem solved :smileyhappy:

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation