Question

Student
KerryPaige
Message 1 of 6 (1,076 Views)

Factory Reset/ Black Screen with blinking cursor

Can anyone tell me how to perform a factory reset on my HP notebook (G62). My laptop won't boot, it just shows the HP logo and goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left. I ordered a recovery disk, but that didn't work... So, I just decided I wanted to reset it. I already researched what that will do to my computer. I just need instructions on how to do it. Please and thanks!
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,069 Views)

Re: Factory Reset/ Black Screen with blinking cursor

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Bios option ( usually f10 ) and under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Can you also post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are trying to reinstall ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
ANGELAPAULK
Message 3 of 6 (1,045 Views)

MODEL-HP PROBOOK443OS

PRODUCT #-H2C39U5#ABA

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 4 of 6 (1,028 Views)

Factory Reset/ Black Screen with blinking cursor

KerryPaige:

Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

ANGELAPAULK:

Your notebook is an Enterprise/Business model. I would recommend posting this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage, as this is the consumer support forums.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

HP Enterprise Business Community
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
mylanta619
Message 5 of 6 (800 Views)

please help I have an HP 2000 bf69WM laptop/Notebook Windows 8 x64 product number C2M21UA#ABA  I can not boot/start-up freezing on HP screeen starts to enter into recovery then completley freezes black screen I can't even get to my recovery ie; blue screen to factory restore, It was fine one day then nothing??????? My stupidity never creating repair ect ...;.;l PLEASE HELP ASAP,

Thank You

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 6 of 6 (755 Views)

Hello mylanta619. I understand you are experiencing issues booting the computer properly and consistently. You are likely facing a hardware issue. I'm going to provide some information that could assist you.

First of all, I insist you follow the recommended troubleshooting in this HP document about black screens appear when the computer is starting: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01997899

If these steps do not resolve the issue, you should confirm whether or not a hardware issue is being experienced. This document will assist you in utilizing hardware diagnostics, before the computer boots to Windows: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03467259

Please inform me when you complete this troubleshooting so I know the results. I will continue to assist you if the possibility exists. I'm only here to help!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation