Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had to install a new hard drive in my HP Pavillion DV9700t that has Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  After going through the recovery process with backup disk the built in keyboard and touch-pad do not work.  During the installation, an error message came up saying something along the lines of "the drivers are not supported by this verison of windows because they are unsigned."  The drivers that had that error were "hpqkbfiltr keyboard filter driver," "HP remote control HID Device," and "hpqkdfilter driver."  I tried to update the drivers for the keyboard from the hp website, but the keyboard and touch-pad still do not work.

My question is, where do I find the digitally signed drivers for the keyboard and touch-pad that Vista won't flag and disable?

Help please!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi MadBuch11,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your query, I am glad to help.

I understand that your touchpad and keyboard do not work after installing a new hard drive.

If you connect an external keyboard does it work?  If so I would check to ensure you reconnected all the cables.  You can download the drivers from the HP driver page for your computer.  HP Pavilion dv9700t CTO Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers. You can run the HP Support Assistant to aid with updates and resolving issues. You can also run MS Fix It to help with issues. Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles,

If I connect an external keyboard and mouse, they do work.  The odd part about the whole situation is that when the computer is shutoff improperly and you can chose to restart windows in safe mode, etc. the "up" and "down" arrow keys as well as "enter" work on the bulit-in keyboard.  Once the login screen hits, and you are able to enter your password, the built-in keyboard no longer works.  When I try to run the HP Support Assisant, it says it is only compatible with Windows 7 or higher, so it never finishes scanning my system.  I've tried downloading the different drivers on the website with no luck.  I will try to run the MS Fix It and let you know if that works out.  I am no computer expert, but am pretty tech saavy, and this has been driving my crazy!

Thanks for your help 🙂

MadBuch11

HP Recommended

Sparkles,

I tried to run the MS Fix It and it came up with this error no matter what scan I tried to run "troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occured. We're sorry but Windows PowerShell failed to install.  Please try again later."

No clue what to do.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I should also mention the recovery disk that I am using had to be ordered since the original hard drive was corrupt and I didn't realize (or think of at the time) that the recovery files were built in to the original hard drive.

Thanks,

MadBuch

HP Recommended

Hi MadBuch11,

Thank you for your reply. 

The error is telling us that the Windows power shell failed to install. This is usually caused by the .NET Framework not installing or not installing correctly. With this error you will need to download  MS Fix It and choose run to use it. If you launch MS Fix It from your computer, it will most likely fail due to the error message .   You can also download the  Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool  to help.  Once that  has been done you will need to download  Windows PowerShell 1.0 Installation Package for Windows Vista (KB928439)  and try reinstalling.  If this  should fail, then I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows.   

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Sparkles,

Thanks for the suggestions.

When dealing with MS Fix It, I was choosing run.  Upon further investigation on that site, there really isn't a scan that applies to my issue anyways 😞 I tried the .NET Framework repair tool, and that seemed to work.  It told me to try re-running what I was having issues with, so I tried running the Windows PowerShell again, but again was faced with the following message "windows update standalone installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247." I went back to the .NET screen and hit "Next" because it didn't work, and that responded by saying they were going to submit logs to Microsoft.  I won't hold my breath on that one.

I'm to the point where I honestly don't care anymore.  I have no idea what to do, because doing a clean install with the discs HP sent me isn't going to help because they are just recovery discs, and not an actual Windows disk.  This is the second hard drive I have had to put into my laptop and use those recovery disks on in the last 3-years.  The built-in keyboard hasn't worked during that time frame on either hard drive.  I don't think the recovery disks I was sent install properly.  Not sure where to go from here.  I spent way too much money on this laptop years ago having it custom built to handle all of my drafting programs, so I don't want to just kick it to the curb.  I was looking into the possibility of just replacing it, but I cannot stand the Windows 8 interface.

I guess I should have fixed the issue with the keyboard on this hard drive before loading all of my programs.  Between the recovery disk install, formatting of the hard drive, and installing all of my programs it took well over 12 hours.  Not really looking forward ot that again 😞 Then there's shockwave and flash and all of the other goodies that my recovery disks won't restore anyways.

Sorry if this seems like a negative post, but I'm just tired of trying to no avail.  Maybe I should just take it somewhere to get it looked at, but I can't see them being successful if the recovery disks won't help anyways.

Thanks for you help,

MadBuch

HP Recommended

Hi MadBuch11,

I know how frustrating and time consuming computer issues are.  I would try using the Recovery manager, to do a factory reset and fresh install. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows Vista).

Once you have a fresh install done, do all the Windows updates before installing any programs.  When windows updates are completed, I would run the HP Support Assistant to get any other updates. Here is a link to get the correct version for Vista. HP Self-Support Options, click no the HP Support Assistant for Vista and download and install.  Once all updates have been  completed, then start reinstalling your programs.  You had an issue with installing the HP Support Assistant, so I am including this for you.Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows Vista) . Here is another one you may find useful. Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.