Op System restore after HDD failure and replacement (282 Views)
Top Student
dynogram
Message 1 of 5 (282 Views)
Accepted Solution

Op System restore after HDD failure and replacement

Hi,

I have an old dv9000 laptop with XPPro factory installed SP2, since upgraded to SP3. The hard drive failed (80Gig Seagate). I checked with the bios setup test, it said "fail" and I checked by booting from the CD drive the windows install disk. It said, no hard drive found. SO I bought a larger 1T byte drive (same mfr Seagate, same rpm 5400) and installed it. I have a network backup drive (Seagate Black armor) and I was able to restore the last backup. The cd drive booted the recovery disk for that program, the hdd light flickered and it seemed to be doing something for 3 hours, then said it was complete.

But the new drive will not boot. I read on this forum and the common recommendation was to use the System Recovery disks that came with the laptop. I dug through the boxes in the garage and found the system recovery disks and my 14 cd's made for system restore. :-) pays to keep junk sometimes. But I tried the system recovery disk and it will not boot up in the cd drive. I get a blank screen with the cursor in the upper left blinking. I went back to try the Seagate recovery disk, and now, it will not boot up either. I tried removing the new HDD. and with or without a cd in the drive it gives the message "No Op sysytem found." SO I think something has affected the CDdrive. But interestingly with the cursor blinking <cntrl><alt><delete> will reboot the machine, so maybe some part of the op system gets loaded.

It's an old machine, old op system. I shopped Hp store and only Windows8 available now. SO I'm either forced to the bleeding edge with all the new bugs and learning curve or I try to get this old machine going. Other things I've tied, hard reset, restore bios defaults.

Any thoughts you may have will be appreciated.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 2 of 5 (252 Views)

Re: Op System restore after HDD failure and replacement

[ Edited ]

Hello dynogram.  When you used the Seagate recovery media was there anything on the screen to indicate the program loaded/worked?  You mention that the HDD activity lights flash and that it completes, but I just want to make sure.

After you finished this procedure you mention that the drive "will not boot."  What is the error that you get when trying to boot the drive after this?

You are correct in that the best option is to use the HP recovery media but it seems you're having issues booting that.  The computer booted the other discs just fine, correct?  So, this may be a problem with just these discs.

You may be able to get a set of recovery discs from HP.  I will need to look into this for you and will need your product number.  Follow these directions to get the product number (do not post your serial number).

I will await your response; have a great day dynogram.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Top Student
dynogram
Message 3 of 5 (243 Views)

Thanks for the response,

When I loaded the Seagate recovery disk, the screen had the program display. I was able to select the recovery option,  browse to the networked backup drive, and select the backup to restore. It displayed a box that indicated it was successfully restored at the end.  But that program startup is not being displayed now. The CD that booted before does not boot now.

The only thing I get now is a black screen with a cursor (underline) blinkng in the upper left. It is the same with the Windows XP startup disk. It loaded before and I got a blue screen with  a box and some options. Now I get the black screen. If I have no cd in the drive and it tries to boot from the HDD I get the same black screen.

I figure the optical drive is bad, I am concerned that maybe something else like power regulation has failed and that has caused the drive failures.  I have had flakey behavior from the CD drive before, so maybe it's jonly that.

The other thought I had is maybe windows is running a chkdisk or scandisk at the startup up, with the screen blanked. It is a 1T drive and a full chdsk may take a long while. I haven't been patient to leave it with the blank screen for many hours.

I have hp recovery disks that came with it, and I have another machine (writing this, a desktop) The other computer can browse the recovery disks, so I think they are ok, but I didn't try to boot the other machine with them. I contacted the hp parts service and got the replacement part number for the CD drive, It is no longer stocked, but they gave me a list of support companies that may have one. I think I'll try and get a replacement cd drive, and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again,

dyno

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 4 of 5 (222 Views)

Hello again dynogram.

I feel like this may be a distant possibility but have you verified that the boot order was not changed for some reason?  If Windows was running CHKDISK it would definitely show some sort of text on the screen to indicate this.  Like I said, this is a distant possibility but I'd like to make sure that the notebook is still trying to boot from the CD drive as well as the hard drive; especially because you said you've previously had issues with the CD drive.

You could also try another bootable disc, such as a Linux Live CD, to see if that is able to boot.  This would be a freshly burned bootable disc so you could pretty much rule out bad media in this case.  I usually keep one of these around for emergencies and have used Knoppix in the past.  Though, HP does not officially support Linux.

If HP no longer stocks that part it may be difficult to find.  Some users have luck searching for the part number on large online retailers such as Amazon.

Check the boot order and let me know the result.  I will await your response.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Top Student
dynogram
Message 5 of 5 (192 Views)

Hello,

The laptop is back up and running with the new hard drive, Yay! and a new cd drive.

Here's what it took, for anybody who ever has the same problem:

The CD drive was bad. The nearest local supplier on the list that hp parts support gave me had a suitable replacement. I installed that, and the system restore disk booted and ran immediately.  I decided to check and see if the windows install disk would run and restore the sytem since I believed I had already restored the whole C: partition. It booted up but did not find the hard drive. It gave an eror message that said no drive found.  I went back to the hp system restore disk and ran that. It took several hours reformatted the disk (deleting anything I'd already put on) and rebooted itself many times. Eventualy it came up with a windows desktop. It was as the factory installed 5+ years ago. I installed the Seagate back up software and ran that. It seemed to have more options running in windows than it did running directly from the cd boot. One of the options was to restore the MBR. I had to look up what that was, Master Boot Record. I figured it should be restored. The full C: restore from backup process took another few hours, but it finished and gave an operation successfull message.

Then I rebooted and got the windows logon screen, logged in and got my desktop as it was at the time of the backup. Success.

In the future I'll look for that MBR restore, maybe it was there and I missed it the first time. I have a slight nagging worry that maybe something else caused both drives to fail at almost the same time. But, I'm not going to fuss with it. I'm hoping the machine runs well for a while longer.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Later,

dyno

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation