USB Recovery Issues (186 Views)
Top Student
Mumbles99
Message 1 of 3 (186 Views)
Accepted Solution

USB Recovery Issues

Hi all - the HDD in my 3 year old Envy has begun throwing up imminent failure errors. I have a TB drive in an external which I would like to use instead. A friend informed me it was as easy as swapping the drives and using the Recovery Media I created upon purchase. However, at the time of recovery creation the laptop did not like the DVD-R's on hand and so I made a Recovery USB instead. This appears to have been a mistake as the laptop refuses to boot from the key and just demands a bootable device.

Yes I have checked the boot options in BIOS & external USB is there and moved to top of the list with no result. Presume I require DVD approach instead but have no idea how to transfer Recovery data from the key to a disc.

Any advice appreciated ... wondering if I'm SOL with recovery and should attempt to clone the original drive before it's too late?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (179 Views)

Re: USB Recovery Issues

Hi,

Sometimes, just setting the the notebook to boot from the usb doesn't work as it should, so it may be worth trying the following.

Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Windows 7 flash drive.  Select the Boot Options menu ( f9 ).  If the usb drive is listed, use the arrow keys to highlight the flash drive and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Mumbles99
Message 3 of 3 (171 Views)

Re: USB Recovery Issues

Yeah figured it myself just now - thanks all the same.

Bit worried because I had previously moved USB to top of boot order and then when Recovery finished it just rebooted back into it again =\ Seems the holidays are for watching bars fill up on screens.

Ahem - anyway! Thanks for your help! H
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation