Question

Tutor
Suranjit
Message 1 of 7 (22,893 Views)

Windows 8 Recovery failed; Error code: 0xc000000f

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am having some trouble with my HP Envy m6 laptop.

I was using Windows 8 pro for almost a year without having any problem. After installing Win8.1 Pro, I had trouble booting and called in HP support and conducted a System Recovery. Everything was good but system was slower.

So, I backed up all data and then proceeded to do a Factory Reset (with HP Recovery Manager) with my HP Recovery DVDs which I have burned earlier. Everything seems to be working fine however the restoration failed (Incomplete restoration)! Tried couple of times but same problem.

While conducting some self-tests, 'Memory Test' (under Run-In Test) failed with "FAILURE ID: RGCD5F-6G56SV-XV7X0K-406803".

At the end, got following error:

"Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc000000f

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacture."

I tried to reach HP Support since still have warrenty but unfortunately I just wasted my time talking to them. I purchased my laptop from Canada but currently living in Australia which made it really difficult to communicate with them.

Can anyone please give me some idea what I needed to do to resolve this issue? I went through several articles in here but failed to get the correct ones. Most of them are for Windows 7 and there are many differences in Windows 8!

I am urgently requesting some assistance from a HP expert who has experience dealing similar issues.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Suranjit

Tutor
Suranjit
Message 2 of 7 (22,890 Views)

Re: Windows 8 Recovery failed; Error code: 0xc000000f

[ Edited ]

removed for security reasons...

Tutor
Suranjit
Message 3 of 7 (22,880 Views)

[ Edited ]

Recovery_Error.jpg

Suranjit wrote:

These are two screenshots I have taken earlier while working on this problem.

Thanks,
Suranjit

Tutor
Suranjit
Message 4 of 7 (22,838 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, there is no expert available who can assit regarding this problem !!!!

For others who require assistance regarding similar issues, please follows this youtube video which shows you can disable 'Secure booting' and enable 'Legacy Support' and restart the Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6vCPBJ7bo

Helpful Article: http://www.smartpctricks.com/2013/09/17/solved-error-code-0xc000000f-windows-8-a-required-device-isn...

It is not foolproof since you need to install from the disc afterwards and you will encounter other issues. However this should provide you temporary access to the Windows 8 factory default OS and then you can proceed with other troubleshooting which I am planning to do shortly.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Suranjit

Retired
Lil_Lisa27
Message 5 of 7 (22,803 Views)

The failure ID that you have provided for the memory test means that the Checksum has failed. This means that it is not finding a part that should be available, but is not showing. After taking a look into the issue of the memory test failing, the most likely cause of the failure is one memory modules has failed. I have included a link to another HP Forum thread here. Please follow the steps that DavidPK has outlined.

For the recovery error message that you are getting, this means that an integral component used during startup can not be found. This error should resolve itself once the memory Checksum error is resolved.

If your notebook has two memory modules, you should be able to boot from the one memory module until the other one is replaced.

Please let me know the outcome of the troubleshooting, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Tutor
Suranjit
Message 6 of 7 (22,725 Views)

Hi,

I have two 4GB RAM on two slots. I have switched them and then conducted another Memory test (extensive). It did not fail this time. However, I did not enable 'secure booting' yet to conduct further testing.

However, currently I have two initial OS (one for recovery I believe) and the other one (non Windows 8) still shows 'Your PC needs to be repaired' error.

Any idea?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Suranjit Paul

Honor Student
Jaseem
Message 7 of 7 (22,342 Views)

Windows 8 Pre-installed laptops usually show such error. Manufactures enabled Secure boot in the BIOS settings and these configurations prevents installing other OS on your machine.

The technology is called UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) and it is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system).

To solve this problem you have to disable Secure/Fast boot form BIOS. The process is quite easy and simple.

You may find step by step procedure here.

http://www.smartpctricks.com/2013/09/solved-error-code-0xc000000f-windows-8-a-required-device-isnt-c...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation