Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!! (32731 Views)
Honor Student
RFranco9
Message 1 of 55 (32,731 Views)

Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!!

I have an HP Pavilion dv5-2135dx laptop... I don't know what went wrong but I randomly have a &quot;Windows Error Recovery&quot; screen when i turn it on: &quot;Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware/software change might be the cause&quot; and i can either choose &quot;Launch Startup Repair&quot; or &quot;Start Windows Normally&quot; BUT when i attempt to start windows normally, it goes back to the &quot;Windows Error Recovery&quot; Screen. If i click &quot;Launch Startup Repair&quot; it doesn't do anything but stay on another screen and i've let it be on that screen for a whole day and nothing happens. I've tried safe mode and again it goes back to the &quot;Windows Error Recovery&quot; screen. I've tried all the debugging options and it goes back to the error screen. When I shut it down and tapped F10 to enter the bios menu, i went under the diagnostic tab and ran both the Hard Drive Test and Memory Test. Here are the results:<br>Primary Hard Drive Test- Hard Disk Full (305)<br>Memory Test- Passed<br>But i have no idea what that means because my laptop is brand new and it has 500gb... so the harddrive shouldnt be full. I'm in need of help because I don't know what to do after looking through abunch of forums... Please help me.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 55 (32,719 Views)

Re: Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!!

Hi:

If you can live with losing your files, etc, you can try a system recovery back to factory specs.

Boot up the PC and tap the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to launch the recovery manager.

Follow the prompts to reset the PC to factory specs.

That is probably your only choice at this juncture.

Paul

Honor Student
offroad6969
Message 3 of 55 (32,714 Views)

Hi i have almost the same problem but my labtop is an Hp HDX 16 and it dosent let me start up eather it goes into a blank screen and i also did the start up recovery and nothing i dont know what else todo
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 55 (32,708 Views)

Hi:

You may have to order a set of recovery disks by following the info at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lan...

Or, If you can read your 25 character windows 7 product key on the bottom of your notebook, you can do this:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

PhD Student
Mista B
Message 5 of 55 (32,707 Views)

I would suggest downloading the generic microsoft repair disc ISO for your OS type Vista/7 (google finds them in 5 minutes) & use this to atempt repair or restore to an earlier point in time.

7 fixes & restores to time points impecably well while Vista is a bit more of a 50/50 shot !

relying on HP reovery & repair files from hdd never surfices as well as original Microsoft Install disc or repair disc.

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
Honor Student
godmicrophone
Message 6 of 55 (31,069 Views)

Hi, I have a similar problem with my hp G62 window 7 basic. I was using it when it requested me to do start up repair. I tried to do it but it did not instead it displays blank background. What can I do? When icheck the link you provided, Basic version was not there
Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 7 of 55 (31,064 Views)

Re: Windows Failed To Start &amp; Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!!

Hello Godmicrophone,

I understand your computer prompted a startup repair and now you are no longer able to see your desktop just a blank screen, is that correct? If so I will try to help as best I can with this issue.

I would like you to start with doing a hard reset. If you’re unsure how to do that see the steps below.

Hard Reset

1.    Disconnected all cables running to the computer including the ac adapter and battery.

2.    Press and hold the power down for 20 seconds.

3.    Reinsert just the power and ac adapter.

Once you completed that step locate the F10 key on your keyboard. When you turn the computer on immediately tap the F10 key and it should load you into a setup utility. If that is successful across the top go to diagnostic and run all the tests it provides. Once all tests have completed press F9 to setup defaults and then F10 to save and exit.

If I have been helpful or if you'd like to say thank you, click the white star under my name to give me Kudos. I really appreciate it.

Please respond at your earliest convenience with results of the tests if you are able to run them.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 55 (31,057 Views)

Hi:

You can convert any of those ISO files to a W7 Home Basic flash drive installation media by reading the info at the link below starting on page 281.

http://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/windows-reinstallation-guide-03-03-2013.pdf

Honor Student
godmicrophone
Message 9 of 55 (31,006 Views)

The issue on my system is this, if I press the on button, it will on, the hp logo will show then windows logo. This will lead to windows error recovery page. If I click on start up repair, it will not load any file but only background shows

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 10 of 55 (30,991 Views)

Godmicrophone,

When you get to the windows error recovery screen if you were to hit start windows normally, what happens?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation