Question

Honor Student
Risch
Message 1 of 14 (7,947 Views)
Accepted Solution

how do i restore back up files created on HP Recovery Mgr after a window clean reinstall?

I used HP recovery Mgr to backup my files because win 7 safe mode couldn't perform a back up on my HP
G72-B62US Notebook.  Windows backup after clean reinstall does not open the hp recovery mgr. files

Grad Student
3baller
Message 2 of 14 (7,939 Views)

Re: how do i restore back up files created on HP Recovery Mgr after a window clean reinstall?

The following link should help guide you to restore your files:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01673043&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Hopefully this helps

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Honor Student
Risch
Message 3 of 14 (7,932 Views)

Re: how do i restore back up files created on HP Recovery Mgr after a window clean reinstall?

this thread pertains to Vista os, I can not seem to find the tabs referred to in the recovery mgr section after clicking on Start and typing Recovery because I have Win & OS--which is too bad because this method states that this type of restore will restore to the original locations. Thanks, tho.

Grad Student
3baller
Message 4 of 14 (7,931 Views)

The following link refers to Windows 7 and will hopefully help out this time.  I didn't realize I only posted the link to vista in the last post.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=fr&dlc=fr&docname=c03056985&lc=en&product=5046842

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Honor Student
AmadorR
Message 5 of 14 (7,925 Views)

I have tried your insturctions, however, I cant find the executible you mention recoverymgr.exe or the exe file you mention, I am glad that if I dig deeper in the backup my stuff is there so worst case scenario I know where it is, however eit would be nice if I can restore to where it was before, let me know why this file is missing - or is it named differently en my backup - this backup was take on 04/12/2012 - your help is greatly appreciated. / thanks

Grad Student
3baller
Message 6 of 14 (7,913 Views)

If there is not an .exe file with your backup then you might want to try the following:

Try mounting the wim file as read only and copy the data you need from the wim file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15162-wim-fil​e-extract-modify.html

You can also try using 7zip to read the files.

I would also suggest doing a search to make sure that the recoverymgr.exe file doesn't exist on your PC.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
AmadorR
Message 7 of 14 (7,901 Views)

OK, maybe I was expecting something else, I did find an executible,and I did run it, what I got , the file structure that I had previulsy was recoverd to a different c: folder with all the subfulders with pictures and the like, I was hoping that running this will restore everything to the way it was before, with programs and everything, things like picasa, windows defender, etc. So tell me is this what the recovery does ? - if it is, fine, I was just expecting more.

Grad Student
3baller
Message 8 of 14 (7,872 Views)

This is how the recovery works and I am glad I could help.  Thanks for the KUDOS :smileyhappy:

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
AmadorR
Message 9 of 14 (7,814 Views)

Thanks you very much

How do I give you kudos.

kudos

?:smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Jbeeterman1122
Message 10 of 14 (7,795 Views)

I had the same problem, With my Vista OS After I had run and then canceled the Recovery Manager File Recovery program, Now when i try and run the Backup.exe It asks for Permission, I Allow, and Nothing happens. ALSO, If I try and open The Recovery Manager, there is no option for "File Recovery".  Help Is greatly appreciated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation