Question

Honor Student
annaglausi
Message 1 of 36 (8,601 Views)

screen says "select boot image did not authenticate."

When i went to turn on my windows 8 pavillion laptop, it went right to a screen where it had a message box saying "select boot image did not authenticate." it said press ok, or enter to continue, so we did. all that did was shut off the computer. this happens every time we try. how can we fix it ?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 36 (8,593 Views)

Re: screen says "select boot image did not authenticate."

Hi,

Is it a preinstalled Windows 8 machine or else ? If not preinstalled, how did you install Windows 8 on your machine ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
aduricic
Message 3 of 36 (8,359 Views)

hey dude, 

my laptop is pre installed windows 8 and purchased it about 6 months ago.

same thing over and over again, Black screen with a blue mask that has white writing on it, 

saying "Selected boot image did not Authenticate. press <Enter> to continue.

what do i do?

Professor
npw05001
Message 4 of 36 (8,340 Views)

Re: screen says &quot;select boot image did not authenticate.&quot;

Hello aduricic,

I see that you are having problems with an error message on your HP computer.

The information I can find about this error indicates that it is related to secure boot which is a new security feature launched with Windows 8.  Many users have reported no longer experiencing this error after disabling Secure Boot.  Try the following.

1. Reboot the notebook and press F10 until the BIOS loads.
  2. Check both the "boot options" and "secure boot configuration" sections for the ability to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot Support.
  3. Disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot Support.
  4. Save the changes and reboot the notebook.
  5. Verify whether the issue is resolved and post the result.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Student
VGRAY11
Message 5 of 36 (8,299 Views)

I am currently encountering the same problem and have disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot. I shut down my computer and performed restart and the screen shows "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
I do not own or even know what a boot disk is.
Please help!
Thank you
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 6 of 36 (8,270 Views)

Re: screen says &quot;select boot image did not authenticate.&quot;

Hello VGRAY11,

I understand that your computer will not boot.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

Let me know how everything goes.

Student
Shanique
Message 7 of 36 (7,130 Views)

Hello. I'm experiencing the same problem except, I can't reboot because all the keys are locked. However, F2 works but it takes me to HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. I ran the start-up test and everything passed but my laptop still won't work. When I select BIOS Management, it gives me two options, BIOS Update and BIOS Rollback, but none of them seem to do anything. Please help me.
HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 8 of 36 (7,049 Views)

Hi Shanique,

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! I see that you are having some boot issues. When you do the BIOS Update or Rollback what happens? Do you get an error message or does it just sit there not doing anything? You are getting the same “select boot image did not authenticate” message correct? What operating system are you running? What is your product number?

Find your product number on a notebook:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00033108

Finding your OS:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
qpgmr
Message 9 of 36 (6,945 Views)

I am in a similar situation as well. Changed boot from secure to legacy and no bootable device found. Attemped F11 recovery and again no bootable device found. What are my next steps?

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 10 of 36 (6,901 Views)

Hi qpgmr,

Thank you for providing the information on what happened when switching to legacy boot. Have you been able to Run the start up tests from anthony82's post? What was the outcome of these tests?

I have included the document 'Computer Does not Start (Windows 8)'. Please follow for Computer opens to a blue "Choose an option" Screen, if these options are available to you. If these options are available, please select troubleshoot > Advance > Repair Start up.

If the above options are not available to you, see if you can enter safe mode/ advanced options mode. I have included the following document 'How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 8.1'. This lists the different possible ways to enter safe mode/ advanced options.

Thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation