Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario C500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Only two encountered so far, both with workarounds, however the second issue involves a major loss of functionality (sleep mode is no longer working) and for which we could do with a fix:

i) upgrading to Windows 10 resulted in a loss of sound, however switchng to the native Windows sound driver provided a fix (see here),

ii) the current issue and currently without a satisfactory solution, introduced during the recent upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the laptop will wake from sleep mode with a keypress, however the keyboard stops working after that, requiring a reboot at that point; anouther user has found a workaround (see here) which essentially involves disabling sleep mode and using hibernate instead; also though searching the Web this appears to have been a problem as far back as Vista for some hardware, the solution then being to set the following tick box:

Device Manager > Keyboards > Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB > Properties > Power Management > Allow this device to wake the computer

However following the Anniversary Update while it is possible to set this tick box, it doesn't save, go back into the dialogue after setting and the option is still unset (this being a second related bug essentially, more a WIndows 10 problem though I would guess).

It would be a shame if what has been a highly successful laptop upgraded from Vista through to what is probably the most succdessful version of Windows yet, were to gradually lose compatability.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

anon3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC. HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

You have been very fortunate to be able to find workarounds for the problems so far, but as MS continues to update Win10, the situation is only going to get worse.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist! 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

anon3

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC. HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP does not have any schedule indicating when, or IF, they will be producing drivers for the older machines.

You have been very fortunate to be able to find workarounds for the problems so far, but as MS continues to update Win10, the situation is only going to get worse.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist! 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

It's a shame, because the OS 'skips' along on the machine.

I could jump back to Windows 8.1, I am though only (currently at least) using WIndows for Edge.  I could at in theory jump back down to the pre-  'Anniversay Update' release, however am not sure if this is still maintained with at least security updates.  A Unix-like / Linux workstation tends to nowadays be a 64 bit affair also.

Windows 8.1 combined with an assessment of the most secure browser available (current and future) is probably the rational option at this point - assuming Windows 8.1 proves as secure as Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.