Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15t-aq100 CTO DaaS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am using Windows 10 (64 Bit) & my storages are 128 GB SSD & 1TB HDD

I am using Windows 10 (64 Bit) & my storages are 128 GB SSD & 1TB HDD & hence I don't want to load any other software or App in C Drive (including MS office) which might use up my SSD. 

Is there anyway, I can do this?

Thanks & Regards

Ilango

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not completely. Firstly, you should move all your library files over to the 1 TB drive and by that I mean documents and photos and downloads, etc. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or...

Then you can create a program files folder on the 1 TB drive and when Office or other program gives you the option as to where it will install tell it to install to that location. However, a certain amount of any program has to go onto the C:\ drive like registration (registry) files (.dll) and other parts of it that need to integrate into Windows so this does not completely solve the space issue but helps quite a bit.

Even this option is apparently not available in Office 365 which will ONLY install to the C:\ drive and can take up to 4 gigs. 

Office 2016 can be modified but it is qute complicated to do. Post back if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Not completely. Firstly, you should move all your library files over to the 1 TB drive and by that I mean documents and photos and downloads, etc. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or...

Then you can create a program files folder on the 1 TB drive and when Office or other program gives you the option as to where it will install tell it to install to that location. However, a certain amount of any program has to go onto the C:\ drive like registration (registry) files (.dll) and other parts of it that need to integrate into Windows so this does not completely solve the space issue but helps quite a bit.

Even this option is apparently not available in Office 365 which will ONLY install to the C:\ drive and can take up to 4 gigs. 

Office 2016 can be modified but it is qute complicated to do. Post back if you need more help. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.  

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the details. however when i install any application or MS office, i dont get the option of selecting the drive, like how I used to get in other windows versions. 

this is the case even for Acrobat reader, which does not ask me my choice of folder to get installed for. it takes the default folder as C: & dumps everything onto it. 

I understand that few files requires to get copied onto the C: drive, even with the installation happening onto the drive i specify. 

but here my case is that the entire installation is happening on the C: drive, which might consume all the available space in my SSD slowly. 

i always wish to have a faster boot/ hence i dedicate the OS onto a single drive with more than 30% of free space against that drive. 

HP Recommended

30% free space is great but not really needed on a SSD. An SSD stores and seeks out files differently than a mechanical drive and can operate quite efficiently up to 90+% full. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.