Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8470p
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Why doesn't Hello Windows work on my laptop?

How can I get the fingerprint scanner to work on my laptop? I've turned it on in the BIOS and it is "working" in Device Manager. HELP!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you upgrade your machine to Windows 10 ? Please try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgCoyMofSCs

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

BH

BH, I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed. Followed the directions on the video as I have done before. The message in settings says that Windows Hello is not available on my laptop...so the fingerprint scanner won't work?!?!?

HP Recommended

@pra59

Create a Restore Point before making any changes.

• (How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

Good Reference:

How to Do a System Restore of Windows 10

If you have not yet done so, Install available Drivers for your computer (for Windows 10 64bit):

HP EliteBook 8470p Notebook PC

Shut down the computer > wait a few seconds > Boot and log in

Install the following Synaptics Driver:

sp66915 Validity Driver V4.5.133.0A_WinXP-32bit_Win7-8.x-32-64bit.exe

Shut down the computer (complete stop) > wait a few seconds > Reboot the computer and log in.

Windows 10 >   Settings > Account > Sign-in Options > PIN number >> PIN assignment is mandatory

If you have not done so, you must assign a PIN number to enable the fingerprint reader.

See the following:

Add or Remove Fingerprint logon - Windows 10

Assuming this works, you will be able to log into Windows using the Fingerprint reader.

This setup does not provide the website / password control provided by Client Security.

There is no listed Client Security version for this hardware for Windows 10.

If you have your computer completely backed up, you can try installing the Client Security program for Windows 8.1 and perhaps run it in compatibility mode.  You can also try installing a new version of the program that is not rated for your hardware.  See your Driver pages for Windows 8.1 and check Revision History.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had the same problem after upgrading to windows 10 .  Installing finger prints driver for 

HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G1 Notebook PC worked for me as its in compatible lists for windows hello. Try this 

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71833.exe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.