Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-ap007na 4K
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Downloading messages and updates Definition // HP Support Assistant -- Never finds updates or stops.

I see this is a problem experiemced by many other users.

Has a solution ever been found?

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you create a new user account on your computer and attempt using the HP support assistant if the previously suggested step didn't work,

The only other option is to backup all important data and then, re-install the windows to rectify any OS/software corruption: Click here for steps and details.

If the recovery manager doesn't work, you will need to utilize the recovery media and if you don't have one: Click here to obtain a recovery media.

Let me know what you'd like to do, so that I can find an alternate solution, if need be.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Colin,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the HP Support assistance is neither updating nor stopping the search for updates,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Have you attempted to reinstall the software?

Or update it from the HP website?

While you answer that, here are a few steps you could attempt to resolve the issue:

• Right click on the start button, choose CONTROL PANEL
  • choose PROGRAMS
  • choose PROGRAMS & FEATURES
  • right click on HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT
  • choose UNINSTALL

ALSO: If you do not delete the HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK at the same time, reinstall will be of no use to you!

• To delete HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK:
  • right click on the start button, choose CONTROL PANEL
  • choose PROGRAMS
  • choose PROGRAMS & FEATURES
  • right click on HP SUPPORT SOLUTIONS FRAMEWORK
  • choose UNINSTALL
  • REBOOT

You can now download the HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT by Clicking here

Once you have installed the program, REBOOT and it should work fine.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your answer; unfortunately there is no change.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both programs.

I have neither anti-virus nor firewall running.

When on the HP website, my laptop is correctly identified; however, when I opt to use HP 'download' for any newer drivers etc. it remains at 0%.

In summary:

HP website cannot connect/download from HP servers.

HP Support Assistant cannot connect/download from HP servers.

I see from my searches, many others are also affected.

Colin

HP Recommended

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you create a new user account on your computer and attempt using the HP support assistant if the previously suggested step didn't work,

The only other option is to backup all important data and then, re-install the windows to rectify any OS/software corruption: Click here for steps and details.

If the recovery manager doesn't work, you will need to utilize the recovery media and if you don't have one: Click here to obtain a recovery media.

Let me know what you'd like to do, so that I can find an alternate solution, if need be.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks again.

I tried via a new account, but no luck.

I don't have the time or will to do a complete re-install.

I have clicked to accept your kind help as a solution.

Colin

HP Recommended

Hi Colin,

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums,

I understand your concern and to complete my fair share, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts to help you out, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did in fact download a new Win 10 Pro .iso which I had intended to install as a maintenance partition.

When I ran the setup, I was not given any choice of where or what exactly would be installed -- It transpired it simply re-installed over the existing and troublesome existing configuration.

I tried HP Assistant again, and it worked.

Also, prior to this, Microsoft's own delivery tool for Windows 10 would not start, staying at 0% progress: I had in fact been obliged to download the above .iso using a third-party utility -- The problem with Microsoft's delivery software was also cured.

Also, whereas Devices and Printers would show single hardware with different instances as a single icon with multiple options, the separate instances were just that, separate.

Colin

HP Recommended

Looks like this is a common problem, and never gets solved. My Support Assistant worked well for a couple of months after I bought this HP-x2, then stopped downloading messages. It just gives an 'x' next to the 'downloading messages' line on the screen when you start 'Check for updates and messages'.

I've tried everything- uninstall and reinstall of Support Assistant and SA Framework, create a new user account, etc. etc. None of it works- haven't had an HP message or update for 4 months. As soon as they came up with the usual support get-out 'well you'll have to destroy everything and reinstall Windows and take it back to Year 0', I gave up on HP. I now rely on Windows Update and keep the Windows installation healthy with DISM and sfc tools in the Powershell.

HP Recommended

It is not working in my laptop

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.