Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-d008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need the name and location of the USB3 drivers in the SW Setup directory.....Can anybody supply this please ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have done some thinking and research on this and the problem is not actually completely a usb 3.0 problem at all. Read this:

https://m.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3h8vk0/build_help_installing_windows_7_on_skylake_z170/

And this:

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/

Seems that installing Windows 7 via USB on a Skylake platform is not supported and requires workarounds. 

This one (from the Forum above) seems fairly easy to do:

I found a solution! I had a similar problem with my girlfriends new laptop without OS. It has two USB ports, both of them USB3 and an i5 6200U CPU. While installing from USB pen, I got the same error with missing drivers, and the same happened with the Intel usb 3 driver slipstreamed.

Here's what I did:

1. Boot into a live linux system (with GParted or similar tool), I had ubuntu 14.04 ISO lying around. I won't instruct you on how to build a bootable USB stick with linux (I personally use DriveDroid on Android).

2. Once in the live system, open GParted and create a new NTFS partition of at least 4.5 GB.

3. Right click on your new partition in GParted and select "manage flags" and tick the "boot" checkbox.

4. Now (still in the live system) unpack your windows 7 ISO onto the new partition

5. Reboot out of your live system and unplug your USB disk.

6. Depending on how many sources and partitions you have, you might have to change your boot order to boot from your new partition, and your Windows 7 install should begin.

7. When installation is complete, you can delete your 4.5 GB partition.

This solution works, but partition needs to be at the start of hdd disk

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Windows 10 should not need a USB 3.0 driver....built in. What problem are you having?

HP Recommended

Indeed for Win10 drivers are not needed. However the OS MUST be working for the drivers to be loaded.

Therefore to make a dual boot system is impossible as the MS OS disks have no USB3 drivers - ONLY USB2.

Without the drivers I cannot wipe the disk / load W7 and then W10 .

HP Recommended
So you need the Win 7 USB 3 drivers?
HP Recommended

Thank you for the assistance.

I may well be corrected here by those with greater knowledge than me ....

I need drivers compatable with W7 and the HP ENVY 13-d008na...thus I would be able to install W7

Here is the tricky part.....Using previous W10 disks I have not been able to install W10 onto any machine with the USB3 port - I have had to move the connector to the USB2 port.

My laptop only has USB3 ports.

Could the generic USB3 driver for W7 be used for this maybe  when the W10 install disk asks for drivers ?????

I trust this outlines the problem .

HP Recommended

Now you are making it clear. What I have had to do is get a good old fashioned usb 2.0 hub and plug it into the USB 3.0 port and plug the media into the USB 2.0 hub. 

HP Recommended

Can it really be that simple ????

I will try this and we will see the result !!!

Keep fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

If not go into the BIOS and see if there are any settings for USB 3.0. Often you can set the ports not to be USB 3.0 before the OS loads. 

HP Recommended

Can it really be that simple ????

I will try this and we will see the result !!!

Keep fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

unfortunately no bios settings for USB3.......[ curses  ] 

now trying the alternative

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.