Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 430 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a business notebook HP ProBook 430 G3, Win 7 64-Bit and have encrypted the hard drive using HP Drive Encryption Version 8.6.29.25.

If I try to copy the recovery key to an USB stick I get an error:

"Sicherung auf RemovableDrive fehlgeschlagen: -2147024894"

Sorry, the language of my Windows is German so I'll try to translate error message:

"Backup to RemovableDrive failed: -2147024894" 

I tried different USB sticks, I formated the USB sticks Fat32, max 2GB, I can copy files to the USB sticks, I can read from the USB stick but I can not copy  the recovery key.

Additionally I tried to copy the recovery key to OneDrive. I got no error but I can't find the key in OneDrive.

HP Protect Tools is not installed.

It doesn't matter if the notebook is a domain member or not. Inout domain we don't control USB sticks using GPOs or other rules.

When I encrypting other HP notebooks (i.e.. HP Probook 4340s, all domain members), I was able to copy the recovery key to an USB stick without any problems.

If you need further information please let me know.

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just to add just tested:

2570p

win 7 x64

sp77916 - HP Client Security manager 9.0.0.2116 Rev.A

sp76330 - HP Drive Encryption VERSION 8.6.27.35

is a working combination for HW encryption.

For google search results: 2147023537 -2147023537  8.6.29.25 sp76784.exe HP Encryption error problem

Also note that always when I have resetted ssd to factory defaults via PSID revert I have also:

- uninstall all previous hp drive encryption (if problems boot live linux and rename C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Drive Encryption folder -> reboot to windows -> reinstall drive encryption -> uninstall drive encryption)

- Delete preboot etc authentications/security from client security

- Uninstall client security

- reboot f10 setup -> reset security to factory defaults -> reset tpm -> reset fingerprint

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Nice to see HP has not given any resolution.

This might be same problem as this and this is the same one I was having too. With the same latest version of the drive encryption 8.6.29.25. I have "unsupported" oem Samsung SSD EVO 850 fw:EMT02B6G which is supported by winmagic

(Securedoc 6.5, 7.0). If I try to encrypt with HW/SED opal option with that 8.6.29.25 I get error -2147023537.

After that the OPAL is enabled and not ready for deployment via Samsung Magigian. So the drive encryption goes "half way" and errors. To get the OPAL disabled after the error I had to get SDWinPEx64.iso (google it and you may find the software) and reset to factory defaults/destruct data via PSID revert (number found in sdd sticker). BACKUP FIRST DESTRUCTIVE and atleast my data was still accessable.

After that -> restore -> use older version ie. sp76330 - HP Drive Encryption VERSION 8.6.27.35 worked with me SED/HW mode. I also used older sp76019 - HP Client Security Manager 8.3.20.2067 Rev.A(9 May 2016) so can't 100% surely pinpoint the issue to Drive Encryption SW.

Also alternatively you may untick "only allow HW encryption on SED drives" and tick C: drive so it encrypts it via SW.

Hope this helps somebody and hope HP get's this sorted out as it is "Critical" problem with SED drives. Or they just ignore it because not HP lab€l€d SSD 😉

HP Recommended

Just to add just tested:

2570p

win 7 x64

For google search results: 2147023537 -2147023537  8.6.29.25 sp76784.exe HP Encryption error problem

Also note that always when I have resetted ssd to factory defaults via PSID revert I have also:

- uninstall all previous hp drive encryption (if problems boot live linux and rename C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Drive Encryption folder -> reboot to windows -> reinstall drive encryption -> uninstall drive encryption)

- Delete preboot etc authentications/security from client security

- Uninstall client security

- reboot f10 setup -> reset security to factory defaults -> reset tpm -> reset fingerprint

HP Recommended

Thank you so much :OpenSmile:

Yes,

win 7 x64

I tried this way successfully (in Client security I don't use HP Spare key and fingerprint):

decrypt my harddrive

uninstall HP Drive Encryption

reboot

uninstall HP Client Security manager

reboot

install HP Client Security manager 9.0.0.2116 Rev.A

reboot

install HP Drive Encryption VERSION 8.6.27.35

Well, HP Support :HalfEyes:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.