Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just had to buy a replacement battery after 1 year of use (I bought this laptop about 13 months ago) . I have never had any problems with the battery latch before. To expend the life of the battery as per the salesman, I would remove the completely charged battery when using ac power.

I took the old battery out since it wouldn't hold a charge only a few days before recieving the new battery. I went to install the new battery and discovered the latch would not move, making it impossible to install the new battery. This laptop has only one battery latch. So how in the world can i fix this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

OOPS,,,,you will have some fiddling to do.

Try a paper clip to move the spring, a nail file or other objects, but NOT so deep as to contact the mother board.

Do this with the power off.

At worst you will end up pulling the back off and doing a plastic replacement kit.

Not such a hard job, just a few screws, there is a service PDF available for your notebook.

2011-11-05_012227.jpg

HP Recommended

Okay.......I've done a bit of fiddling, just afraid of really messing things up  :Surprise: .........LOL   Can't afford to replace a 1 yr old laptop.

Thanks for your advice........I'll give er a go again. :generic:

HP Recommended

I thought I would post this solution while it was fresh in my mind for those whose battery latch is jammed in the postion it should be when resting.

On the side of the battery facing the trackpad there are 3 prongs with diagonal tabs next to them. These prongs mate to 3 catches on battery compartment which ought to slide with the battery release latch. In my situation 2 of the 3 sliding prongs had been jammed down and their tips caught on the base of the laptop. This prevented the prongs from contacting the diagonal tabs on the battery and sliding to catch the battery's prongs. All I needed to do was take a small screwdriver and pry the tips up so they and the release button were free to move again. It's probably worth noting that no covers or screws need to be removed to do this. 

HP Recommended

dang i wish i knew that before popping the latch off with a butter knife. now i cant put it back on cuz the lil clips broke off

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. Worked great!

HP Recommended

I did it!  I did it!! I did it!!!   I REALLY DID IT!!!!  Thank you!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

This worked for me. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.