Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion DV8T-1200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is just a follow up of all the 2010 and 2011 posts, I still have a dv8t-1200 and I've been scouring the internet for a way to just completely disable the quick launch touch buttons on my dv8t, as the static or whatever it is, is driving me crazy, and I'll just buy an external wireless adaptor if I need to.  

I heard someone briefly post how you can disable everything somewhere, but you'll lose your wireless connectivity too... Do you know how to do that, because with a usb wifi device, I might be able to solve everything.  

Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, Update:

I have unlatched the keyboard casing with the led bar/quick launch buttons, and I've disconnected the ribbon cable to the LED buttons, and that has definitely fixed the problem...  

New question.  What should I do with the disconnected ribbon?  Should I tape it down or anything before putting the keyboard back together?   (edit:  packing tape for the ribbon cable is working fine)

Thanks for the potential solutions, but this was easy to do and will fix the problem, and I don't care about the LED bar functionality.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @freepacifico,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that you want to disable the Quick Launch Buttons. 

You can change the settings of the Quick Launch Buttons software or uninstall it from your laptop.

HP Notebook PCs - Understanding and Using HP Quick Launch (Windows 7, Vista)

Let me know if these help.

If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

how do I completely uninstall/disable the entire functionality of the touchpad without having to take apart the laptop and disconnect the ribbon from the LED board?

HP Recommended

Hi @freepacifico,

Go to the section of "Disabling the touchpad in Windows 7" on link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01876141

Let me know if it helps.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

the touchpad is not what I need to disable.  I need to disable the LED buttons that give additional "touch" control of WiFI, volume up, volume down, etc, which is going crazy due to static electricity gathering underneith the LED bar, causing the wifi to cut in and out and volume to go up and down like there's a ghost in the machine.  My touchpad (mousepad etc) is perfectly fine

HP Recommended

Hi @freepacifico,

Have you uninstalled the Quick Launch Buttons? Does the LED back light still work after the software uninstalled?

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, I uninstalled the Quick Launch Buttons, and the backlight is still on and the buttons are still functional.

HP Recommended

Hi @freepacifico,

Please try the following:

Hold down the Windows key and press R.  Into the Run box type "msconfig" and hit enter.  In the following window, click the Start up tab, remove the tick next to the entry for HP Quick Launch Buttons and click Apply to save the change.  Restart the notebook for this change to take effect. 

Let me know if it helps.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I don't have that option, but I do have QlbCtrl.exe, and I did uncheck that and restart, and the light bar is still on and active.

HP Recommended

Ok, Update:

I have unlatched the keyboard casing with the led bar/quick launch buttons, and I've disconnected the ribbon cable to the LED buttons, and that has definitely fixed the problem...  

New question.  What should I do with the disconnected ribbon?  Should I tape it down or anything before putting the keyboard back together?   (edit:  packing tape for the ribbon cable is working fine)

Thanks for the potential solutions, but this was easy to do and will fix the problem, and I don't care about the LED bar functionality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.