Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 4003 DX x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

MY Spectre is occasionally turning on while it is in my backback with the lid closed. Just last night I opened the bag to find it very hot. The battery was also at 15% from 100% since I unplugged it, closed the lid, put it in my bag and did not use it.

The power settings are set to sleep on lid close, besides that it should fall asleep after 10 mins on battery. 

Does anyone know or have an idea why this could happen? Or know of a solution?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Foxco,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 Good day.  I understand that you are looking for assistance with the unit becoming hot with the lid closed when placed in a backpack. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

For starters please do a hard reset first. link for it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then please perform a bios, chipset and graphic card driver update from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-13-x360-Convertible-PC-Series/7527520/mod...

Then visit this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935 for further assistance. Please select the correct option that best describes your situation.

Perform these steps also:

1. Open Control Panel from your Start icon.
  2. Open Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Click on Change Adapter Settings on the left side panel.
  4. Right click on the respective Network Adapter.
  5. Click on Properties.
  6. Click on Power Management tab.
  7. Check the box which states “Allow this device to Wake the Computer”.
  8. Click on OK.
  9. Open windows Control Panel, open Power Options and next to your currently selected power plan, click Change plan setting.  In the following window, click Change advanced power settings.  In the next window, open up 'Wireless Adapter Settings' and then open up 'Power Saving Mode'.  Next to On battery: click the current setting and a drop-down box will appear - select Medium Performance'.  Do the same for Plugged in.  Then click Apply and Ok to save these settings.
  10. Restart the computer for the changes to take effect and check.
  11. You could later change the options back to what it was for  the network adapter.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

I checked my power settings on the network adapter and in power management. The adapter is set to NOT allow it to wake the computer.  My power management settings on battery is set to  Medium as you described, but plugged in was set to maximum performance. 

I'll change that and respond here if I'm still having trouble.

Thanks

HP Recommended

hI @Foxco,

I read your response. I request you to also perform a bios update and other updates as mentioned in my previous post along with a network adapter update also. Please check the Bluetooth settings for power management as the wifi and Bluetooth features are on a single chip and it is a combo card. Then please follow the document from the link that I sent you. I request you to perform all the steps and check how this goes.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.