Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv7-7332ea

Hi all,

I'd be really grateful for some help here. I recently did a factory rest on my HP Envy dv7 notebook but am having trouble re-installing Windows 10.

Before I do this I was told I need to update from Windows 8 to 8.1 and then onto Windows 10.

However I am unable to updaten from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 as I cannot get all the drivers installed.

For some reason I am unable to install the HP Wireless Button Driver. Whenever I try to do download via Windows Update from the Control Panel, it downloads and after the install shows an error code 80070436.

I'm unable to get this driver installed and so cannot update to Windows 8.1. I did try to update to 8.1 without the driver but when my laptop restarted it got stuck at 82%.

I'd be grateful if anyone could give me any advice or help to get this sorted as I seem to keep hitting a brick wall.

Many thanks,

Ian 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will be able to directly install W10 without the need to go from any other OS.

I have done it a few times already, so I know it works.

Twice on brand new blank solid state drives on notebooks that had previously been upgraded to W10 on the old mechanical hard drives.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi, Ian:

If you had previously upgraded to W10 and it was successfully activated, you can clean install W10 without having to upgrade from W8, 8.1 and on to W10.

Just boot from the W10 installation media you made, and there will be two choices...enter a product key (which you don't have) and there will be an option to select 'I don't have a product key.'

You select the I don't have a product key option and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are reconnected to the internet.

Then if you still need the wireless button driver, use the one for W10...

This package provides the driver for the HP Wireless Button on supported models running a supported operating system. HP Wireless Button allows the physical (hardware) wireless radio button on the system to enable and disable the wireless connection on the system.

File name: sp71829.exe

If you did not make a copy of the W10 installation media, you can do so from the link below (media creation tool).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your email. I qualified for the Windows 10 free upgrade but there wasn't a facility for me to create installation disks from what I recall though could be wrong.

I did call Microsoft Tech and they did give me the website to re-download Windows 10 from after I told them I didn't have installation disks. They said I would be able to skip the product key page. They also said the system will recognise that I had Windows 10 on my laptop before. However they said I have to upgrade again to Windows 8 1 before going onto windows 10. Is it worth skipping 8.1 and upgrading to Windows 10 as you advised but via the web address they gave me?

Cheers,

Ian

HP Recommended
Hi Paul,

Apologies I just noticed your link to create installation media. I'll give it a go and let you know if it worked.

Thanks!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will be able to directly install W10 without the need to go from any other OS.

I have done it a few times already, so I know it works.

Twice on brand new blank solid state drives on notebooks that had previously been upgraded to W10 on the old mechanical hard drives.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Windows 10 is all ready to go. Thanks for your help. I did it as a clean install rather than an upgrade and it all works fine.

All drivers are updated too!

I am a little worried that there will be compatability issues since it had Windows 8 installed when I bought it. I did check on the HP website for windows 10 drivers but when I select my laptop it only shows drivers for windows 8.1. On the dropdown box there isn't an option to select windows 10 so I'm assuming drivers haven't been done for 10 yet.

Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Ian

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Ian.

HP will not be supporting that model series for W10, so you have to make due with whatever drivers are out there, or try W10 drivers from other notebook models.

Here is their official link regarding upgrading notebooks to W10...

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04730900

This statement in particular...

If you purchased your computer prior to August 2013, HP has not tested or developed drivers for your computer model. Some features might not work, or the installation might not be successful.

If all the devices you need are working, I would not be concerned.

I am running an old HP nc6400 business notebook from 2006 on W10 and it works fine.  All drivers are installed.

I doubt the fingerprint scanner would work but I don't use it, so it is of no importance to me that it does.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul I did come across the notifcation saying prior to Aug 2013, the laptop wouldnb't be supported.

Is it still worth installing the latest version of HP Support Assistant to give me the latest HP drivers even though they are for 8.1 or is that more likely to cause more problems than it solves?

If it's worth dowloading, would you know the link as I've searched high and low.

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If everything is working, I would leave it be, but that's up to you.

HP Recommended

t problem with this driver installation. First of all it's on an HP 15 laptop running windows 10/ HP Support Assistant keeps telling me I need to update it. But when I try to install it, I get a message that Windows has a more recent version of this driver and will not install it. Who is right, Windows or HP?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.