Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre 13-4050na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In windows the cursor is in overwrite mode. There is an insert key on the prt sc button, but no combination of fn, shift, ctrl and alt with it will disable overwrite. Overwrite isn't occuring in any office tool, just the main windows screen.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @aygrim,

Good Day.  Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you have issues working with the insert key that keeps overwriting on the main window. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity, I would require more information regarding this to assist you?

• Did this happen recently after a Windows 10 or software update?

For starters please try these steps:

• Please press the Insert key once on the keyboard when it overwrites and check if the overwriting stops.
  • The insert key acts as a toggle switch. If you push it once it turns off, causing this overwriting and if pushed again it turns back on functioning like an insert key.

If it still does not resolve the issue, then please backup your registry from this Microsoft link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows and then try this registry tweak:

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed reply, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

It does seem like it may just be a setting for the typing cursor as it is a black box covering letters, rather than the thinline you usually get. It is happening in all applications and pressing insert doesn't toggle overwrite at all, but it also isn't currently set to overwrite.

I'm using Windows 10 Home and have installed updates, although the change has happened when I sent my laptop off to have the screen fixed ( they ended up replacing the whole screen section just for a cracked screen).

Any help will be much appreciated, becasue even though it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, it is really annoying!

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed reply, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

It does seem like it may just be a setting for the typing cursor as it is a black box covering letters, rather than the thinline you usually get. It is happening in all applications and pressing insert doesn't toggle overwrite at all, but it also isn't currently set to overwrite.

I'm using Windows 10 Home and have installed updates, although the change has happened when I sent my laptop off to have the screen fixed ( they ended up replacing the whole screen section just for a cracked screen).

Any help will be much appreciated, becasue even though it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, it is really annoying!

HP Recommended

Hi David,

thanks for yourdetailed  reply. I tried both, but it didn't work.

I've since realised that it isn't overwriting text, but the insert key still doesn't toggle a change. It seems like the cursor for text has just been changed from a single thin line to a black box that covers a letter. It is also happening in all applications. I am using Windows 10 Home.

I haven't done and updates recently, but the change happened when I sent my laptop in for repair for a cracked screen (they ended up replacing the whole screen unit of the laptop.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated,while it doesn't seem to be affecting functionality it is really annoying!

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Sorted it! It was a lot simpler than I thought. The text cursor had just been changed from a line to a box. To change it back:

Settings/Ease of Access/Other options - change the Cursor thickness to 1.

Blasted overthinking a problem!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.