Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been trying to disable my touchpad...I never use it.  I have uninstalled Synaptics device multiple times...it is currently not installed.  I went to settings and went to "mouse and touchpad" and under "further options" I used to have something that at least temporarily stopped it...now that setting isn't available.  I read somewhere that holding the touchpad in the upper left corner for a few seconds would disable it...nope, didn't work.  I have tried various things I have read on internet, and nothing works. I am now hating using this computer...HELP please!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bo-barb

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP 15 Notebook PC and would like to disable the touchpad on it permanently. You have uninstalled Synaptics device and have disabled the touchpad from mouse and touchpad settings.  You held down the upper left corner of the touchpad and that didn't disable the touchpad either. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Ideally, you need to tap the upper left corner of the touchpad twice quickly to either enable it or disable it.

Please feel free to reply. I'll watch fro your response. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Bo-barb

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP 15 Notebook PC and would like to disable the touchpad on it permanently. You have uninstalled Synaptics device and have disabled the touchpad from mouse and touchpad settings.  You held down the upper left corner of the touchpad and that didn't disable the touchpad either. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Ideally, you need to tap the upper left corner of the touchpad twice quickly to either enable it or disable it.

Please feel free to reply. I'll watch fro your response. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

OMG OMG OMG!!!  That's all I had to do, is tap the upper left hand corner quickly twice??? And it worked!!!  Thank you so much...I have spent hours trying to find a solution....thank you again!!

HP Recommended

@Bo-barb

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the suggestion worked for you. Have a great day! 🙂

HP Recommended

If the double tap left corner trick does not work for you and you are frustrated please try the following:

1. start button

2. type, "synaptic"

3. You should see an option for Synaptics TouchPad - CLICK IT

4. A window should open and if you look there should be a checkbox that says, "Disable touchpad when usb mouse attached."

That was the only thing that saved me after coming up empty for 2 hours of googling on my model (HP 15)

100% of the articles about going into settings and going through mouse settings were USELESS.

The forum was also useless.

I figured this out by realizing it was the synaptics driver and someone mentioned there was an app. It was already installed on my newly purchased laptop.

I am a programmer and prior to figuring this out everytime I would code my cursor would jump around mangling my code and making me as angry as a brooklyn boy can be....

REALLY HOPE IT HELPS EVEN ONE PERSON! 😄

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.