Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy m6
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I bought an HP Envy m6 new, and have probably had it for less than two years. For some reason one of the hinges snapped, and the back of the casing in that corner popped out. I put tape around the corner for support, which worked for a few months, but now the other hinge has also snapped. This has caused the casing to start separating from that side as well. I now have a laptop with two broken hinges, casing that is falling apart, and a crack on one of the front bottom corners. I cannot afford to replace this laptop or spend a lot of money getting it repaired, and will be needing it for a distance learning course in 2016. I am disappointed at how fragile this laptop seems to be, as I was looking forward to many more years with it, and I don't think it will last much longer in its current condition. This puts me in a difficult situation as I use this laptop regularly, and rely on it being in good working order. I no longer feel I can open and close this laptop without causing significant damage, and am at a loss for where to go from here. Is there anything that can be done?
Thank you.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but I have looked through the forums and found that a lot of people are having the same issue with their HP Envy laptops, so I do not believe I am at fault. The problem may lie with a factory issue or poor design. I cannot afford to pay probably half the price of my laptop for repairs, as it was not cheap to purchase in the first place.

HP Recommended

mate wether out of warranty or not HP should definitely look into supporting at best his customers.Not anyone can afford to go buy another laptop especially if its only 2yrs old and in perfect working order apart from the way it was built.

its people like you who gives people false hope about what they can and cannot do so if you're ok to spend more of your money like an idiot thats your choice but ill make sure mine get fix within my legal rights..

its a really common issue they should have recall all of their products already instead of trying to get people to pay to fix their mistake.

HP Recommended

Hello @Schwarze-Eule ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

Cheers,

KarolB

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem!! This is my 2nd NEW Envy since last June as the first one had issues and I had to return it...AFTER 10 hours of updates, installing my own software etc. This one has been nothing but problems as well. Had to spend $100 for Microsoft support because the 90 day warranty was up.I bought it for my new business so hadn't used it enough to have probs until just after the 90 days. Oh, and the support agent hung up when I had a list of probs for them. I have been an HP lover for years...desktops, laptops and printers. Even bought an HP camera once. This "machine" cost me $1600 and now just a year later the hinges are pulling the whole thing apart if you don't hold it tightly while opening the lid. The biometrics don't function properly either. To get anything repaired they want you to send it away to them for weeks. I am trying to conduct a business here with this thing!! Between Microsoft 8.1 (waiting on WIN 10) and now HP's lack of quality or concern...I may be biting an APPLE next go around.  I NEVER thought I would say that in my lifetime. This is definitely the worst purchase I have ever made. Want to know how to go from excitement to dissappointment in 60 seconds? Buy an expensive HP...

I think we should see how many others have the same problem. Maybe a class action suit would smarten them up.

HP Recommended

Great! Hopefully you will read my post and do the same for me! Oh, and I am not a student, don't know why it says that next to my screen name. I run a bailiff agency.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Puparazzi

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Thank you!

HP Recommended

hey,

just  googled the same issue and found your post. my hp envy m6 , i have 2 years seince september and i have numerous issues, apart from it physically falling apart, with 1 hinge gone, the casing around screen is cracked and now the keyboard is lifting as well!!! some serious quality issues here, my nephew has another similar hp laptop but is not the envy and the screen of his came away from its hinges!!!

I had problems from early on, couple of months in, and i can no longer use headphones on this laptop as it just blares out anyways, sent to hp, they didn't/ couldnt fix it. sent it to a friend of mine, no joy either. 6 months ago the fan has stopped working so i purchased a tray with 2 fans on it, that the laptop sits on, that is keeping it from overheating.

its so dissapointing as the laptop itself runs pretty well otherwise, in terms if speed etc. i had a dell inspiron prior and the hp was far superior on the interior specs, honestly!!! i i have hp laser printers etc. and they are perfect!!! so it seems it the laptops the lack of quality is found. I am at aloss what to do as, i know this laptop will be in a million pieces in 6 months, and i don't know what else to get. I love apple but i work in accountancy and need to run likes of sage accounts etc, use ms silverlight, which cant be done in mac!! Any computer geeks out there have any purchase advice??, needs to be quick, decent storage, i do like to watch videos etc. but no gaming......

HP Recommended

OMGGG, i having been reading some more reviews, this is clearly a BIG problem, HP should be recalling this laptop, i wote my initial post out of dispair, now im really annoyed..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.