Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Its not a hardware issue, its software. Try and when it stops and boot into bios, it works as it should. hardware it wouldn't work at all. Then reboot into windows and it doesn't work. it is a absolutely a software issue at least on mine. i want more people to check bios, you will see it works great but will not work in windows. 

HP Recommended

Yes does seem more software related. Otherwise why would the power button continue to work?

Also, I have noticed the keyboard suffers lag when I am typing at times, this has got intermitantly but progressively worse. I have asked for a refund, bet I don't get it. [within 30 days of supply]

HP Recommended

Looks like the comments keep growing.

I think most of us realized that it wasn’t hardware. With me it would happen on average every 2nd day when I was spending all day on my computer. When I use it infrequently, maybe every 4th day.  Predictable failure. Reboot always fixes it.

Skrayne mentioned that the problem happened when unplugging the laptop. I use my Envy as a desktop, always plugged in and hibernating when I touch the keyboard in the morning. I try now to remember to restart each morning…seems to make a difference but it is BS that I have to do this by superstition.

It’s logical that it is software. But why isn’t every Envy screwing up as they must have sold many. I have Windows 11 Pro. Are there Windows Home users here too? If it were Windows 11 causing the problems why isn’t this happening on Dell, Acer, Surface, Lenovo. I’ve tried some searches to find problems cropping up this on any other brand and I have not seen it.

If you eliminate Window 11 as the problem and it is NOT happening on other HP laptops, then that leaves divers, Bios or whatever is specific to Envy.

Maybe we all have the same options in common. I have:

W11 Pro

Intel Core I7

17.3” Touch Screen

Number Keypad

W365 Subscription

Any commonality ??

HP Recommended

reboot always fixes it for some time, so that is not clearing the hardware issue, i do not think it is software, it happens definitely when editing and using the up/dwn/left/right arrows

HP Recommended

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post - has anyone noticed that their keyboard starts typing really slowly sometimes - like you press a key and the letter appears seconds later?

This seems to be random behaviour. I'd still point the finger at software because every key doesn't respond EXCEPT the power key for the reboot. As far as I know (or used to) there are several tracks, one for each key grouping, so for them all to fail except one key seems unlikely.

One other question - I like playing old games - my vice is Civilisation II. I mention this because it installs a library (something to do with video I think) and perhaps its a common thing to those having the issue. Does anyone else play older games that might perhaps upset HP software or latest versions of Windows?

HP Recommended

I'm am thinking the extensive use if the arrow key (or other keys) is causing the drivers or other firmware to crash. The more the usage of the keyboard the more likelyhood of a crash? 

Maybe a buffer is not being cleared. 

HP Recommended

Interesting thought. I don't know enough to comment, although in my case I use the num pad keys a lot in the game I play.

HP Recommended

Yes, we are making a mistake here in not listing our spec. Mines different though

W11 Home

Intel Core I7

17.3” Touch Screen

Number Keypad

Office 2021

HP Recommended

I've noticed when my keyboard starts slowing down, the desktop manager memory usage shoots up to between 550-820Mb which seems really excessive (reducing the apps open seems to make no or little difference). Comparing this to other systems with similar numbers of the same apps open, its more like 150-250Mb. I've tried uninstalling the free McAfee and other apps, no difference.

So I suggest people reading this forum with an Envy 16-17 keyboard issue post hardware stats and task manager figures.

HP Recommended

@B-T-L

Two days ago, I noticed the diagonal arrow keys on my numpad had stopped working, horizontal and vertical worked, so your observation on the cursor keys is interesting.... what made you mention it?

Worked after restarting the app that used them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.