Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
14-ac126na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've received my new HP 14-ac126na that I got from Amazon. Did the first steps on the poster that came with the notebook. Battery installation, power cable, switch ON and Wi-Fi setup. After that there are two possibilities to sign in.

The first one says Local or Domain Account (button with a key sign) and a second uses a email Microsoft account or phone number and password.

I find this strange... this a new PC for home use (W10 Home). I don' t have a local account (yet) or domain. So, to sign-in I tried my old hotmail account. It doesn't work. It says password is incorrect, but it isn't because I can use my MS account in other devices. Nevertheless I've reset my password (3 times),  tried a different MS user account and it keeps asking for a password reset. I've spent hours with this  without success.  I can not understand why a notebook that is new and for home use has to have this kind of credentials for a user to use it!  As an HP user (never had another brand) I am disappointed with all this.

What am I missing here? can someone help me?

Thanks,

Rui

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An update: after using F11 to try to recover the factory image and using a blank password for the Administrator account without success, the next restart I did just initiated the normal Setup procedure. I am using the notebook now and it is perfect 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can use local account to bypass all Microsoft account problems if you wish. Only you may not ba able to get services from Microsoft.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi BH,

What do you mean by local account?  As far as I know to create a local account I need access to the Start button to configure it... The problem is that I am being blocked by a screen "New User" with a credentials request. This doesn't seem to make any sense.

Rui

HP Recommended

Hi,

When first (very first) logon, you can skip (choose the "Skip this step" option on the bottom left of the screen).

then call yourself Sun or Moon or Earth, with your password. You don't need Microsoft account.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your last reply and some more investigation that I did, makes me believe that someone already did some initial setup on this notebook... the option you refer "skip this step" is not present. When I turned the notebook on for the (my) first time I got the standard w10 lock screen (the beach grotto) and after pressing the return key the credentials screen.

This is all very strange, because the box and plastic bags were sealed and everything looked untouched.

Regards,

Rui

HP Recommended

An update: after using F11 to try to recover the factory image and using a blank password for the Administrator account without success, the next restart I did just initiated the normal Setup procedure. I am using the notebook now and it is perfect 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.