Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I have forgotten my administrative password (use to open your notebook), tried all passwords that I can remember, unsuccessful.  when i tried resetting it, it suggested that i connect a certain flashdrive.  It is not Microsoft issue.  I was told I need to reset the whole laptop.  Tried backing up the laptop so i can reset it but its not allowing me as the password is incorrect.  called HP support was just being transferred from one tech to another...time consuming but did not get an answer.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The flash drive is nothing but a password reset disk. Since you havent created one to reset the password you have to reinstall the OS which will erase all the data and will set the computer to day one. If your unit as Windows XP, then you can reset the password by going to safe mode.

How to perform  Windows 7 Recovery

Also you can try the steps listed in the below link which is from third part websites.

Windows Vista:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/reset-password-windows-vista.htm

Windows 7:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/reset-password-windows-7.htm

Windows 8/8.1:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/reset-password-windows-8.htm

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP and I am not an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

If you are referring to the password on your Windows operating system and not the BIOS, then  there are ways around it.

People with access to MSDN have access to MSDaRt. MSDaRt has a utility called locksmith which makes short work of passords. If you take your notebook to a PC shop there is a good chance that a professional there will be able to take care of the problem with out suggesting that you reinstall the OS. Chances are that it will not be a free service. 

THere are also programs on the internet that will do the same, but there are risks involved. From an ethical perspective, I don't know you personally so I cannot in good conscience make any specific recommendations as to what will work.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi @Oliviay ,

Please be respectful to those who offer suggestions .  . Respect your fellow users by keeping your tone positive and your comments constructive. Good or bad, your experiences are always welcome as long as they are offered in a courteous way. Respect people's time and attention by providing complete information about your question or problem, including product name and model number. People like helping those who ask good questions. 

Regards,
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended
Ww
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.