Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I definitely appreciate the discussion, and I'm glad to know the difference in battery maintenance advice is based on the differences in the battery. However, I am still concerned about what is happening to the battery when it is plugged in because I've heard differning opinions. Does the charging system rest when the battery is full and power is available otherwise? Or is some current still being sent to the battery? If I am at my desk anyway, is it better to remove the battery while I can easily plug it in, or would I be wasting my effort?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When the battery is fully charged it stops accepting power from the adapter so there is no adverse affects. Only exception really would be excessive heat from the other hardware.Heat is not friendly to the battery. In most normal usage there should not be excessive heat. In an event such as playing intensive games which would likely generate more heat it would probably be in the best interest of battery health to remove it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Many people prefer to remove the battery and store it when they keep a machine constantly plugged it. i'm sure it would prolong the life of the battery and usually the machine runs a bit cooler with battery removed. It is strictly personal choice, but if you keep the battery installed it is best to remove power adapter and let the battery discharge to about 20% once a month or so. Just my 2 cents.

HP Recommended

Yes, that's reasonable. The thing I don't like about running without the battery is the possibility of getting accidentally unplugged. However, i am still interested to know if there is an internal control that cuts power from the charging system when the battery is fully charged. Thanks.

HP Recommended

When the battery is fully charged it stops accepting power from the adapter so there is no adverse affects. Only exception really would be excessive heat from the other hardware.Heat is not friendly to the battery. In most normal usage there should not be excessive heat. In an event such as playing intensive games which would likely generate more heat it would probably be in the best interest of battery health to remove it.

HP Recommended

So it sounds like the upshot is that the best thing to do to promote a long battery life is to keep it well ventilated when in use. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.