Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the same question as this archived thread: 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/How-to-make-F5-key-refresh-without-pressin...

Fresh out of the box, my laptop has the Fn keys reversed from their standard. This is fine for most of the keys, but I use refresh much more often than turning off the keyboard backlight, so I would like to reverse just this key.

Basically, I want to remap a single action key (F5) so that it will refresh browsers and windows without the Fn key, but leave all of the other action keys as they are.

The goal is to, without using Fn key, be able to refresh pages as well as adjust volume/brightness/video playback.

Any help would be appreciated, as the above thread was never answered.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @PhilAnders,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

As I understand that you would like to disable to Fn key so that you can use F1 to F12 keys without holding the Fn key. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you with this..

You can disable or enable the Fn key functionality using the BIOS utility.

To disable or enable the function key (fn) in the BIOS follow the below steps:  HP Notebook PCs - Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.
  • Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

• Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the Enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  • Select the desired mode:
  • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

• The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

If the issue persists I recommend trying with a different keyboard.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this does not solve my problem.

I'm looking to disable ONLY ONE function key (or remap it somehow) so that I can use F5 to refresh a page and still use the rest of the action keys normally

HP Recommended

@PhilAnders

Hi, 🙂

as @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

I would like to inform you that there is no option to disable only one function key (or remap it).

Hope this answers your question. Keep me posted. Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.