Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I tried to update one of the six updated I had, the one I chose was something along the lines of "BIO", the update was taking a very long time to install so I stopped it, then keyboard and power button became unresponsive, mouse was still working so I went to start screen and chose restart and it was loading on the restart screen for more than an hour and now the screen is black, the power button light is on though. I've tried the esc and down volume, escape and power button, just holding the power button for 10 seconds and nothing is working. This is only six months old and the only thing I ever downloaded on this is Spotify. Please help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
update: it just died and I put it on the charger and held the button for 10 seconds, and then turned it on, and everything came up normal!! everything is responsive! I don't know what happened with the update but thankfully my
computer is just as it was before.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

A BIOS update gone awry can hose a machine. I suggest calling HP Support for warranty service-you have a standard 1 yr warranty. >>Contact HP

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
what would have went wrong with it though? I just stopped it when it was installing because it was taking long and I needed to use my laptop at that moment.
HP Recommended

A BIOS update rewrites the BIOS with new files. The BIOS is what tells the laptop what/when to do everything- if it is damaged the machine is useless without it.

How long was it taking,btw?

HP Recommended
the first part went fast, where it checks all the update requirements and disk space and stuff but then when it starting actually installing it was like that for like 20 minutes and that was my first time updating stuff on this computer so I thought that was taking too long, my keyboard became unresponsive as it was installing because I was listening to music and the volume button wouldn't work. and when I stopped it then everything just went bad.
HP Recommended

Reason I asked is because HP may not honor the warranty since you stopped the BIOS update before completing. But-since it was taking longer than normal for BIOS update and the keyboard had already become unresponsive it may be alright. Just explain the bad things happening "before" you stopped it.

HP Recommended
hopefully my warranty is intact, because yeah while it was installing the whole keyboard stopped working and then when I stopped the update and chose restart, to hopefully make the update go smoother, it then was stuck on restart and is now black, but still on. I was planning on letting it die and then turning it on but considering you said it can ruin the whole thing I think my best bet is explaining what happened to HP and hopefully get it repaired or replaced under the warranty. thank you so much for your help!
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Good luck with the repair!

HP Recommended
update: it just died and I put it on the charger and held the button for 10 seconds, and then turned it on, and everything came up normal!! everything is responsive! I don't know what happened with the update but thankfully my
computer is just as it was before.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.