Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP dv6 1355dx Pavillion Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem.  I have downloaded every driver, added/changed registry, made sure scrolling is checked, and researched to the point of nausium.  Hair is gone!

Any help is appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HOW TO RESOLVE TOUCHPAD SETTING RESET ISSUES

1. Download version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
    • Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" category.  If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is listed, download it.
    • If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is NOT listed, download the driver directly from HP (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68198.exe).
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    • In the Control Panel, select Device Manager.
    • Click the "+" next to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" to expand that category.
    • Double-click on the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad to bring up its properties.
    • Navigate to the Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device, then click OK to uninstall.
  5. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Software (HP Control Zone).
    • In the Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
    • Scroll down to HP Control Zone (published by Synaptics Incorporated) and uninstall it.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Install version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
  8. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 19 of the driver.)
  9. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  10. Restart your computer again.
  11. Rejoice!  Your TouchPad settings will finally save across sessions again. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

HOW TO RESOLVE TOUCHPAD SETTING RESET ISSUES

1. Download version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
    • Navigate HP's Software and Driver Downloads site (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html) to find the latest approved driver for your model.  Filter by version, selecting Microsoft Windows 8.1 on the dropdown menu.  Look for the download in the "Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" category.  If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is listed, download it.
    • If a Synaptics driver with a version number starting in 18 is NOT listed, download the driver directly from HP (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68198.exe).
  2. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  3. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  4. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.
    • In the Control Panel, select Device Manager.
    • Click the "+" next to "Mice and Other Pointing Devices" to expand that category.
    • Double-click on the Synaptics SMBus TouchPad to bring up its properties.
    • Navigate to the Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • Check the box to delete the driver software for this device, then click OK to uninstall.
  5. Uninstall version 19 of the Synaptics TouchPad Software (HP Control Zone).
    • In the Control Panel, select Programs and Features.
    • Scroll down to HP Control Zone (published by Synaptics Incorporated) and uninstall it.
  6. Restart your computer.
  7. Install version 18 of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and Software.
  8. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the Synaptics TouchPad Driver.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for version 19 of the driver.)
  9. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  10. Restart your computer again.
  11. Rejoice!  Your TouchPad settings will finally save across sessions again. 
HP Recommended

I AM SO EXCITED!  (TYPING IN ALL CAPS) 

THIS SOLUTION HAS FIXED MY PROBLEM.  I HAVE WORKED ON THIS ISSUE SINCE THE WINDOWS 10 ROLL OUT 7/29/15. 

SO HAPPY! 

THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with Windows 10 forcing bad drivers on top of older perfictly working Synaptics touchpad drivers. Thanks so much for finding the answer!

HP Recommended

I am sincerely grateful for your post!  This FINALLY worked, after trying unsuccessfully for hours to install different driver versions, registry changes, etc that I saw on other forums.  I installed version 18 from your link.  

I have an HP Pavilion DV8t-1000 laptop and I can now scroll again after the Windows 10 "upgrade".  

I hope others find your solution faster than I did.  HP doesn't seem to care too much (i.e. not at all) about getting solutions under the impacted laptops' forums, and my hope for the last few months that Microsoft would fix the problem was obviously in vain.

HP Recommended
Thank you .... this helped me alot and resolved a major problem .... however.... edge motion is not working like how it did on windows 8.1 i hope you can help 🙂 thank you in advance
HP Recommended

So I just installed windows 10 on my HP Pavilion laptop and the touchpad doesn't work correctly.  I tried the first link and got a 404 error message, but was able to download from the second link.  When I went to uninstall my Synpatics from the list of programs I got a pop up:

There was a problem starting %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynISDLL.dll  The specified module could not be found.

I am in desperate need to get this touchpad fixed as it's affecting the work that I am able to do and really driving me up a wall!  Please help!!

HP Recommended

hi im facing same problem after updated to windows 10. my laptop is hp g42

HP Recommended

This resolveds the problem for me so thank you very much, however it only seems to have worked on one of the accounts on my laptop.

I have two user accounts, both were created before I managed to solve this problem. I then followed the instructions listed and it solved the problem on the account I was using at the time, but once swapped to the other user account the problem is back. I have checked the setting for the pad on this account and they are set correctly and all is the same as the primary account. Same version of the driver and same setting for scrolling but it does not work.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

İt is working but not one finger please try two fingers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.