Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion 15z touch laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

8 months old - works fine - battery (4 cell 41WHr lithium ion) - doesn't hold charge as well as others i've had.  goes from full charge to 75% in about 8 days with no use (didn't turn on).  Battery tests OK - i'm concerned about something in computer using a bit of current when shut off.

Does 100% charge to 75% charge in 8 days without turning on the computer seem normal??

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

rcsailer

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What you're not aware of is that with Win10, even when you turn off your PC, it is still running -- because it uses a new form of hibernation known as FastStartup.  This is a very different thing from Fast Boot.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V  HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

After this, the PC should draw little or no power after you turn it off -- but it will take longer to boot.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

rcsailer

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What you're not aware of is that with Win10, even when you turn off your PC, it is still running -- because it uses a new form of hibernation known as FastStartup.  This is a very different thing from Fast Boot.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V  HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

After this, the PC should draw little or no power after you turn it off -- but it will take longer to boot.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the welcome and your clear, concise solution to the problem. I will disable “fast startup” - Windows10 has been no speed demon on booting up anyway and if it takes a bit longer, I can live with that.

For me. the most disappointing thing about Windows10 has been that I’ve been told you can’t install and run MS Works on it. I primarily use my computer for word processing and spreadsheets. The Office programs (Word and Excel) are much more cumbersome to use than Works which does everything I need. I have hundreds of Works documents that I need to convert to Word and Excel to work with them with Windows10.

I presume there isn’t any way to get Windows10 to accept Works - right?

Thanks again, Bill

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.