Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G72T-200 CTO Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have removed a printer, no longer used, from my Printers & Devices. It is not listed in Control Panel anywhere that I looked such as Programs & Features or Devices. I have rebooted and it still shows up in HP Support Assistant as a device. How do I rid my system of this printer device? The alerts are driving me nuts!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@john-NH

It is likely the HP Update tool that is causing the notifications.

Search for the program:

windows key + s

type in HP Update

When the program starts, go to Settings and set the notifications to "Never"

Reference:

Updates – When and How

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I killed the message that kept flagging the Assistant. However, Assistant still shows nonexistant printer as a device and I cannot figure out why. I see no way to stop the nonexistant printer from appearing in Assistant. I uninstalled Assistant, rebooted, and reinstalled it to no avail. Is this perversity by design? Am I the only one experiencing this persistant misinformation from Assistant?

HP Recommended

@john-NH

I have not the faintest idea why this is happening; you are right to ask the question -- it is odd that the HPSA does not know the printer is "gone" and uninstalled.  ??

A couple of ideas:

You should be running the latest HPSA, that is, version 8.x of the HP Support Assistant.  In case your system is not doing so, I think you can grab the latest version :

HP Drivers & Downloads

• Click "Detect my product"
  • If the HPSA is not the "latest", the program will notice and ask / download the latest HPSA version

=====================================================================

You might try the following to see if perhaps the devices are confused and could benefit from a "reset":

Hard Reset - Forced reset

Note this is a just device reset and not some sort of scary "disk or Operating System reset".

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I am having this same problem, seems Support Assistant  has detected a printer I have never owned or installed and now it wants to install updates.  How do I get rid of this extra printer I do not own. I have looked in Divices and Printers and it is not installed on my system.

I am running 8.1.40.3 of Support Assistant

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution?  I am having the same problem.  Old printer.  Removed the driver, but the printer is still showing up in Support Assitant!  Driving me nuts!  Thinking about removing HP Support Assistant!

HP Recommended

I have a solution to the Same Problem.

Bought a new HP printer. Deleted old printer and drivers in a Windows 10 system. The old printer still shows up on HP Support Assistant. 

Solution: When I click on the device and bring up more detail, it has a button on top right with a pencil in the icon. Clicking on it brings up a window "Edit device information." In the bottom center it says "Remove this device."  

I clicked on remove and am happy to say it is now gone. 

HP Recommended

This solution resolved my problem .  Thank You !

@TheBinder wrote:

I have a solution to the Same Problem.

Bought a new HP printer. Deleted old printer and drivers in a Windows 10 system. The old printer still shows up on HP Support Assistant. 

Solution: When I click on the device and bring up more detail, it has a button on top right with a pencil in the icon. Clicking on it brings up a window "Edit device information." In the bottom center it says "Remove this device."  

I clicked on remove and am happy to say it is now gone. 

Old guy.
HP Recommended

Open the HP Support Assistant. 

Select the device you want to remove by left-clicking on it. 

You will then see, on the far right of the screen, a pencil icon.  If you mouse over the icon, text will pop up saying "edit this device." 

Click on the pencil icon to edit the device.

You will then be able to change the name of the device or remove it.  Click on "Remove this device."

You will be prompted to confirm that you really want to remove it - confirm it. 

Ta-da.  The unwanted printer is now removed from the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

That "solution" would result in the person not ever receiving notifications - which would mean they would not receive notices for the new printer that they are using. 

To remove a printer from the HP Support Assisant:

Open the HP Support Assistant. 

Select the device you want to remove by left-clicking on it. 

You will then see, on the far right of the screen, a pencil icon.  If you mouse over the icon, text will pop up saying "edit this device." 

Click on the pencil icon to edit the device.

You will then be able to change the name of the device or remove it.  Click on "Remove this device."

You will be prompted to confirm that you really want to remove it - confirm it. 

Ta-da.  The unwanted printer is now removed from the HP Support Assistant.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.